A2 初級 176 タグ追加 保存
Do you want to study at a British university
or an American college? Because if you do,

this is the video for you! Because we are
going to look at ten essential words that

you are going to need to know if you want
to study abroad. This is going to be super

useful guys. So let's roll the intro.
The first big difference is that British students
go to university whereas American students

would call it college or school, ok? So in
Britain we would say 'Which uni do you go

to?' So we shorten university down to uni.
So which uni do you go to? "I go to Leeds

uni.' But in American English they would say
school. Well college is the institution but

often they would say school. So which school
do you go to? I go to Harvard or Yale or whatever.

That's a bit of a strange one for British
students because school for us, well that's

when you are a kid, right? From the ages of
five to eighteen you go to school. Then you

go to university. So using the word school,
it's always a bit of a strange one for us

but in American English school is high school
and also college. So that's the first major

difference. British students go to university
or uni. American students go to college or

school. When British students arrive at uni
they are known as freshers. So I was a fresher

for my first year. In America they are known
as freshmen. So the idea is the same, that

fresh, like new but slightly different. So
fresher in the UK, freshman in America. Now

at the beginning of the course you will find
out your timetable. This is when your classes

are, what time, what day your classes are.
So in Britain we would say timetable. In America

they would probably say schedule. So in Britain
we get our timetable, in America they will

get their schedule. Now this is an interesting
difference. In American English I know that

they major in a subject. So let's say I'm
studying English, 'I major in English'. But

in Britain we would use other verbs. So we
don't use major we'd use things like I read

so 'I'm reading English' or 'I read English'
in the past. Or we might say 'I'm doing English'

or 'I did English'. I did media studies, not
sure why but anyway. So you could say 'I did

media studies' or 'I'm doing media studies'
if it's in the present tense. You could also

say study so 'I'm studying English' or 'I'm
studying history.' So we've got a couple of

verbs read, study and do whereas in America
it's just major.

Here's a question for any of you guys out
there in America. Now in Britain we have something

called a gap year. This is a year in between
school and university where somebody might

want to work for a while or travel. The idea
is that you get a bit more experience of life.

So we take a gap year. Now what is that in
American English? I don't actually know. So

I'd love it if you guys knew so let me know
in the comments below. What is a gap year

in American English? Maybe it's gap year,
I don't know. Anyway, let me know. In British

English we divide the academic year up into
terms so usually we have three terms one before

Christmas, one between Christmas and Easter
and then the summer term so from Easter till

the summer. Now in American English they would
say semester but I have noticed that the word

semester is coming more and more into British
English. So perhaps they are interchangeable

here. So maybe in American English they will
also say term, in British English we will

also say semester but generally in British
universities we use term and in American colleges

they'll say semester. Now when you are on
your course you will have to write essays

all about different topics whatever the thing
is that you are studying.

In American English they call those papers.
So 'On Friday I have to hand in a paper' you

would say, whereas in British English 'On
Friday I have to hand in an essay.' So essay

in British English, paper in American English.
Then at the end of the term or the course

or the year whatever it might be in British
English we have to do exams whereas in American

English I think they would say tests. Now
again this could be quite fluid. I think maybe

in American English they might also say exams
and certainly in British English we say tests.

Throughout the year you might have little
tests, kind of progress tests or whatever

it might be but at the end of the year you'll
have an exam and that's the big important

one that will decide if you pass your course
or not. In American English, I think they

call that a test. Now on your course you are
going to have different classes. Now in American

English it is a class and that could be small
or big it doesn't really matter whereas in

British English we divide them up into two
different categories.You have lectures where

the lecturer or professor will talk for an
hour two hours and you sit and you take notes.

There isn't much of a discussion. You don't
really generally ask questions. It's usually

in a big hall or big lecture theatre. Whereas
we also have seminars. Now a seminar is smaller.

So there are fewer students, you've got one
professor, one teacher and you can generally

ask them questions. It's more of a discussion.
So yeah we have a seminar and a lecture whereas

in American English it's a class, it's the
same thing. Now before your big exam at the

end of the course, in British English we revise.
That means to study again the things that

you have already learned. So you revise for
an exam or you revise for a test. In American

English I think it's review. They would use
the word review or study but i think we would

use study as well. But the concept here of
revising is that you have already studied

it and so you are looking at it again to remind
yourself of what you have already learned.

So in British English revise, in American
English review. And finally for that exam

the verb that we use in British English is
to sit an exam. Also we use take as well,

so you could take an exam as well. In American
English I think they would generally use the

word take. So in British English we sit an
exam, in American English they take a test.

Now guys, if at the moment you are studying
in the UK or in the USA or that you want to

study in the UK or the USA let me know in
the comments below. Tell me where you are

studying, what you are studying and if you
have found any other differences between studying

at a British university or an American college.
Let me know if you know any different words

or generally how's your experience been? How
is it different from studying back home? Let

me know, I would love you to share it with
the rest of the Eat Sleep Dreamers. Alright

guys, you know that I am back every Tuesday
and every Friday with fresh modern British

English. Please check me out on Facebook,
check me out on Instagram where we do daily

English content but until next time guys this
is Tom, the Chief Dreamer, saying goodbye.



University vs College | 10 British vs American English Differences

176 タグ追加 保存
Vera 2019 年 4 月 16 日 に公開
  1. 1. クリック一つで単語を検索


  2. 2. リピート機能


  3. 3. ショートカット


  4. 4. 字幕の表示/非表示


  5. 5. 動画をブログ等でシェア


  6. 6. 全画面再生


  1. クイズ付き動画


  1. クリックしてメモを表示

  1. UrbanDictionary 俚語字典整合查詢。一般字典查詢不到你滿意的解譯,不妨使用「俚語字典」,或許會讓你有滿意的答案喔