初級 8963 タグ追加 保存
動画の字幕をクリックしてすぐ単語の意味を調べられます!
単語帳読み込み中…
字幕の修正報告
>>> GOOD MORNING, EVERYONE. I'M MELANIE COHEN, THANK YOU
VERY MUCH FOR ATTENDING, THOSE IN PERSON AND ONLINE.
AT USUAL, LET ME GIVE YOU THE ADMINISTRATIVE NOTES FOR THOSE
HUD EMPLOYEES WHO WANT TO GET CREDIT FOR THIS, TRAINING
CREDIT. PLEASE SEND ME AN EMAIL AND
WE'LL MAKE SURE WE PUT YOU ON THE LIST.
FOR HUD EMPLOYEES HERE, PLEASE SIGN THE SIGN-IN SHEET AND WE'LL
MAKE SURE YOU GET TRAINING CREDIT.
LET ME START BY SAYING -- WE KEEP CHANGING THE FORMAT A
LITTLE BIT. THIS HAPPENS TO INVOLVE ME BEING
THE PRESENTER. I'M GOING TO BE TALKING ABOUT A
NEW AREA OF THINKING, WHICH IS A LITTLE BIT DIFFERENT THAN WE
NORMALLY DO. AND IT'S GOING TO BE A LITTLE
BIT MORE OF A PRESENTATION, BUT HOPEFULLY IT'S A PRESENTATION IN
A DIFFERENT WAY THAT YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THAT'S GOING TO SPUR SOME
IDEAS AND SOME NEW THINKING FOR YOU.
SO DESIGN THINKING. I DON'T KNOW IF PEOPLE ARE TOO
FAMILIAR WITH THAT IDEA OR NOT. I DON'T KNOW IF A LOT OF PEOPLE
HAVE EVEN HEARD ABOUT IT, SO LET'S DO THIS.
LET'S GO TO THE FIRST SLIDE, THE NEXT SLIDE, WHICH TALKS ABOUT
THE RIGHT BRAIN AND THE LEFT BRAIN.
I'M NOT SURE, AGAIN, IF PEOPLE ARE TOO FAMILIAR WITH THIS IDEA,
BUT LET ME TALK TO YOU A MINUTE ABOUT WHAT THE RIGHT BRAIN IS
AND THE LEFT BRAIN. IF YOU TAKE A LOOK AT THE SLIDE,
WHAT YOU SEE IS THE LEFT BRAIN, THAT'S ALL ABOUT ANALYTICAL
THINKING, RATIONAL THINKING, SORT OF STRAIGHT-LINE FUNCTIONS
AND WHEN YOU TAKE A LOOK AT IT, YOU GET THE VISUALIZATION OF
PEOPLE IN THEIR CUBICLES, RIGHT? ISN'T THAT KIND OF THE IDEA YOU
SEE? AND THEN WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT
RIGHT BRAIN, DESIGN THINKING IS KNOWN AS THE AREA OF THE RIGHT
BRAIN AND SO WHAT THAT INVOLVES IS, IT'S MORE ARTISTIC, MORE
INVOLVED WITH INTEGRATING DIFFERENT FUNCTIONS AND MORE
INVOLVED WITH IDEAS. WHEN YOU TAKE A LOOK AT THAT
SLIDE, WHAT YOU SEE IS SORT OF THIS HAPPY PLACE WHERE PEOPLE
AREN'T REALLY TIED UP TO BOUNDARIES.
RIGHT? THERE ARE NO BOUNDARIES THERE
BECAUSE IT'S THE WHOLE IDEA OF THINKING NEW, THINKING
DIFFERENT, INTEGRATING IDEAS AND LOOKING BEYOND THE BOUNDARIES OF
YOUR OWN AREA. SO LET'S GO TO THE NEXT SLIDE
BECAUSE WHAT I'M GOING TO GIVE YOU VERY BRIEFLY IS JUST SORT OF
THE FOUNDATIONS OF WHERE DESIGN THINKING CAME FROM.
AND LET ME JUST MENTION, BECAUSE I SEE A COUPLE OF PEOPLE TAKING
NOTES. NO NEED TO TAKE NOTES.
I'LL BE SENDING OUT SLIDES FOLLOWING THE PRESENTATION, SO
IT'S MORE IMPORTANT, REALLY, THAT YOU GET THE GIST OF AND AN
UNDERSTANDING FOR WHAT'S BEING SAID BECAUSE YOU WILL GET ALL
THE NOTES LATER. SYSTEMS THINKING.
IF ANYONE IS FAMILIAR WITH SYSTEMS THINKING, THAT'S THE
IDEA THAT BELIEFS ARE ABOUT WHOLISM.
IT'S THE PIECES OF THE PUZZLE THAT CREATE THE WHOLE, OKAY?
THAT'S REALLY THE MAIN THOUGHT BEHIND SYSTEMS THINKING.
BUT DESIGN THINKING IS SOMETHING A LITTLE BIT DIFFERENT
ALTOGETHER, BUT ITS FOUNDATIONS CAME FROM SYSTEMS THINKING, SO I
WANTED YOU TO GET THE SENSE OF WHERE THAT IDEA CAME FROM.
SO LET'S GO TO THE NEXT SLIDE BECAUSE I WANT TO START TALKING
ABOUT THE WHOLE IDEA OF TALKING ABOUT DESIGN THINKING, THINKING
IN A DIFFERENT WAY, AND THINKING GENERALLY, BECAUSE THAT'S OFTEN
HARD. THERE'S A COUPLE SLIDES THAT I
HAVE A LITTLE BIT LATER IN THE PRESENTATION WHICH WILL REALLY
LAY OUT FOR YOU THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE WAY WE THINK THROUGH
PROBLEMS AND THE WAY WE TALK ABOUT PROBLEMS.
BUT LET'S TALK ABOUT PROBLEMS REALLY BRIEFLY NOW BECAUSE WHAT
I WANT TO GIVE YOU DEFINITIONS FOR AND IDEAS ABOUT ARE WHAT
WICKED PROBLEMS ARE AND IF PEOPLE ARE REALLY ADDRESSING
WICKED PROBLEMS. MOST PROBLEMS WE TALK ABOUT
GENERALLY ARE NOT WICKED PROBLEMS, THEY'RE JUST GENERAL
EVERYDAY ORGANIZATIONAL PROBLEMS.
BUT WICKED PROBLEMS HAVE NO DEFINITIVE FORMULATION, RIGHT?
THEY'RE VERY ILL-STRUCTURED, SO THE IDEA IS, IT'S NOT REALLY YOU
HAVE A BEGINNING AND YOU HAVE AN END.
WHAT YOU HAVE IS THIS KIND OF COMPLEX THING THAT'S HAPPENING,
OKAY? AND WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT
PROBLEMS YOURSELF AND YOU THINK ABOUT THE PROBLEMS THAT YOU FACE
AND YOU THINK ABOUT THE PROBLEMS IN YOUR ORGANIZATION, THERE
PROBABLY IS A LITTLE BIT OF A BEGINNING AND AN END TO THEN, SO
THEY'RE NOT NECESSARILY WICKED PROBLEMS.
I'M NOT GOING TO GO THROUGH EACH ONE OF THESE, BUT I'M JUST GOING
TO HIGHLIGHT A COUPLE OF THESE THUNTION.
WICKED PROBLEMS ARE ESSENTIALLY UNIQUE.
THEY'RE NOT THE EVERYDAY PROBLEM THAT YOU FACE IN YOUR OFFICE,
THE EVERYDAY ORGANIZATIONAL PROBLEM.
WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT THE PROBLEMS THAT YOU ENCOUNTER
EVERY DAY AT YOUR OFFICE, ARE THEY REALLY KIND OF THE SIMILAR
PROBLEM OVER AND OVER AGAIN, BUT IT HASN'T REALLY BEEN SOLVED
CORRECTLY? IT'S SORT OF MUTATING IN A
DIFFERENT DIRECTION, BUT IT'S REALLY NOT SO SIGNIFICANTLY
FUNDAMENTALLY DIFFERENT THAN WHAT YOU JUST TRIED TO SOLVE
BEFORE? A LOT OF TIMES, THAT'S WHAT THE
PROBLEMS ARE. AND NUMBER NINE ON THIS LIST,
MANY STAKEHOLDER PERSPECTIVES ABOUT THE PROBLEM, SO YOU HAVE A
LOT OF DIFFERENT THOUGHTS AND IDEAS AND INPUTS INTO WHAT THAT
PROBLEM IS ALL ABOUT. OKAY?
SO KIND OF THINK THROUGH THE PROBLEMS YOU HAVE, THINK THROUGH
WHAT WICKED PROBLEMS ACTUALLY ARE, AND THEN WE'RE GOING TO GO
THROUGH SOME PROBLEM-SOLVING TECHNIQUES AND I'M GOING TO SHOW
YOU -- AND, OF COURSE, FEEL FREE TO ASK QUESTIONS ANY TIME
BECAUSE THAT SORT OF ADDS TO THE WHOLE INTEREST OF THIS.
SO LET'S GO TO THE NEXT SLIDE. NOW, THIS IS THE TRADITIONAL
PROBLEM-SOLVING METHOD, OKAY? THE WATERFALL METHOD.
WHAT HAPPENS HERE IS -- AND THIS DOESN'T WORK FOR A WICKED
PROBLEM. SO WHAT HAPPENS HERE IS WE SPEND
A LOT OF TIME, BUT A FINITE TIME, GATHERING THE DATA OF WHAT
THE PROBLEM IS, RIGHT? WE GATHER SO MUCH DATA.
THEN WE SPENT ANOTHER FINITE AMOUNT OF TIME ANALYZING THAT
DATA, RIGHT? AND THEN WE BEGIN TO FORMULATE A
SOLUTION. BUT EACH OF THESE ARE DISCRETE
ACTIVITIES. THAT'S THE WATERFALL PIECE.
THEY'RE EACH DISCRETE ACTIVITY MUCH, AND THEN WHAT WE DO IS
IMPLEMENT SOME SOLUTION. NOW, IN THE INTERIM, THAT'S WHAT
I'M JUST SHOWING YOU RIGHT NOW IS THE TRADITIONAL
PROBLEM-SOLVING METHOD. IN THE INTERIM, WHAT SOMETIMES
HAPPENS IS -- AND LET ME JUST MENTION TOO, THIS IS A VERY
RATIONAL MODEL. THIS IS WHAT NORMALLY GETS DONE,
BUT IN THE INTERIM, SOMETIMES THE PROBLEMS CHANGES AND
SOMETIMES YOU GET NEW DATA. SOMETIMES YOUR ANALYSIS BEGINS
TO TAKE ON DIFFERENT SHAPE, BUT YOU HAVEN'T TAKEN ANY OF THAT
INTO EFFECT BECAUSE YOU'RE BUSY ON THE NEXT STEP.
SO WHAT I WOULD SUGGEST TO YOU, THIS IS A VERY RATIONAL MODEL
AND THIS IS WHAT WE DO EVERY DAY AND THIS IS WHAT'S DONE ALMOST
ALL THE TIME, IT'S DOOMED TO FAIL, OKAY?
THIS IS DOOMED TO FAIL. SO LET'S GO TO THE NEXT ONE.
WHAT'S DESIGN THINKING ANYWAY? SO I TALKED TO YOU JUST VERY
BRIEFLY ABOUT WHAT SYSTEMS THINKING IS.
DESIGN THINKING HAS A NUMBER OF DEFINITIONS AND PICTURES AND
WE'LL GO THROUGH THAT. HERE'S THE IDEA BEHIND IT.
IT'S THE IDEA OF INTEGRATING ANALYTICAL THINKING WITH
ABDUCTIVE THINKING. OKAY?
AND I'LL EXPLAIN WHAT THAT IS. BUT IT'S THE IDEA OF, WHEN YOU
THINK ABOUT ISSUES, YOU CAN EITHER DO ONE OF TWO THINGS.
YOU CAN EITHER USE STATISTICS AND TRENDS AND QUANTITATIVE
ANALYSIS AND SURVEYS AND HISTORICAL DATA, WHICH IS GOING
TO PRODUCE SOME SORT OF RELIABLE RESULT, RIGHT?
IT ALWAYS PRODUCES A RELIABLE RESULT BECAUSE YOU'RE USING
ACTUAL ANALYTICS. OR, OR, WHAT DESIGN THINKING IS,
YOU CAN BEGIN TO GET A BETTER UNDERSTANDING AND FRAMING OF
WHAT THE REAL PROBLEM IS BY UNDERSTANDING THE CONTENT AND
THE CONTEXT OF THE PROBLEM. WHICH IS WHAT MOST PEOPLE DON'T
DO. MOST PEOPLE HAVE A PROBLEM AND
THEY LOOK FOR A QUICK SOLUTION. YOU KNOW, WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT
IT, IS THAT WHAT OFTEN HAPPENS? YOU SORT OF -- YOU HAVE A
PROBLEM, YOU WANT TO SOLVE IT, AND YOU WANT TO MOVE ON TO
WHATEVER THE NEXT THING IS, BUT YOU DON'T TAKE THE TIME TO
REALLY THINK ABOUT AND UNDERSTAND THE COMPLEXITY OF
WHAT THAT PROBLEM IS ALL ABOUT. AND THAT'S THE IDEA BEHIND
DESIGN THINKING. IT'S THE IDEA OF UNDERSTANDING
THE PROBLEM, SORT OF -- I USE PROTOTYPING, BUT I USE
PROTOTYPING IN A DIFFERENT WAY. I DON'T MEAN PROTOTYPING LIKE
PROTOTYPING SYSTEMS OR PROTOTYPING, YOU KNOW, A
PRODUCT. I MEAN PROTOTYPING SOLUTIONS, SO
THAT YOU CAN TAKE THAT POTENTIAL PILOT SOLUTION, SEE IF THAT
SOLVES THE PROBLEM. NORMALLY IT WON'T SOLVE THE
PROBLEM, SO YOU NEED TO CONTINUE TO ADJUST THAT BECAUSE THE
PROBLEM CONTINUES TO MUTATE, AND THEN COME UP WITH SOMETHING
ELSE. SO IT'S REALLY AN ITERATIVE TYPE
OF APPROACH, WHICH IS SOMETHING VERY DIFFERENT THAN THE
TRADITIONAL PROBLEM-SOLVING. SO IF WE CAN GO TO THE NEXT
SLIDE, PLEASE. AND WHAT THAT IS IS ESSENTIALLY
I JUST WANT TO GIVE YOU SOME DEFINITIONS BECAUSE, REALLY
BECAUSE I'M AN ACADEMIC AND I LOVE DEFINITIONS.
BUT THAT'S NOT REALLY THE PART OF IT.
I WANT YOU TO UNDERSTAND, ALTHOUGH I'M EXPLAINING IT, I
WANT YOU TO UNDERSTAND WHAT SOME OF THE DEFINITIONS ARE.
SO IT'S DEFINED AS THE ABILITY TO COMBINE EMPATHY FOR THE
CONTEXT OF THE PROBLEM. THAT'S REALLY KEY.
EMPATHY FOR THE CONTEXT OF THE PROBLEM, UNDERSTANDING WHAT THE
PROBLEM REALLY IS, THE FOUNDATION OF THE PROBLEM BEFORE
YOU RUN AND TRY TO GET A SOLUTION BASED ON WHAT YOU THINK
THE PROBLEM IS AND IT'S ABOUT CREATING, RECREATING, AND
GENERATING INSIGHTS INTO THAT, ANALYZING THE SOLUTIONS AND
REVISING THOSE SOLUTIONS. SO IT'S A CONSTANT REVISION OF
THE SOLUTIONS BECAUSE YOU'RE CONTINUALLY REEXAMINING THE
PROBLEM. OKAY?
CAN WE GET TO THE NEXT SLIDE? THIS IS ANOTHER DEFINITION.
THIS IS A DEFINITION THAT'S USED MORE APPROPRIATELY OR REALLY IN
THE PRIVATE SECTOR BECAUSE IT LOOKS AT MARKET OPPORTUNITIES,
BUT IT'S THE IDEA -- THIS IS WHAT THEY HAVE TO DO IN THE
PRIVATE SECTOR BECAUSE THEY'RE CONSTANTLY LOOKING AT MARKET
SHARE, INCREASING MARKET SHARE, AND THEY'RE LOOKING AT
PROFITABILITY. BUT IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT THOSE
SORTS OF IDEAS CANNOT BE INSTITUTED IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR
BECAUSE THAT'S THE IDEA OF RECREATING AND RECREATING VALUE,
AND THE IDEA IS YOU HAVE TO CONTINUALLY RECREATE VALUE FOR
SOMETHING TO BE EFFECTIVE. CAN WE GO TO THE NEXT SLIDE?
SO THIS ONE ALSO -- I'VE GOT A LOT OF SLIDES CALLED "WHAT IS
DESIGN THINKING," SO THIS ONE IS IS THE IDEA THAT YOU HAVE SOME
PROJECT, RIGHT? SOMEBODY HAS AN IDEA, LIKE
SOMEBODY HAS AN IDEA IN YOUR OFFICE.
SOMETHING HAPPENS WHICH IS THE SQUIGGLY STUFF IN THE CENTER.
WHO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED THAT STUFF, BUT THAT'S -- KNOWS WHAT
THAT STUFF IS, BUT THAT'S THE THINKING THAT GOES O ITERATIVE
SORT OF THINKING AND IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR, MONEY FOLLOWS.
IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR WHAT'S GOING TO FOLLOW IS VALUE, RIGHT?
VALUE FOR THE CITIZEN. SO THAT'S REALLY THE IDEA TO
KEEP IN MIND. SO LET'S GO TO THE NEXT ONE.
THIS ACTUALLY GOES THROUGH SORT OF A -- THE DIFFERENT PHASES OF
IT. I'M NOT GOING TO EXPLAIN IT ALL
TO YOU BECAUSE I WANT TO SPEND MORE TIME ON THE NEXT SLIDE, BUT
THE IDEA IS, AND WHAT I JUST TALKED ABOUT, IS THAT IT'S
ITERATIVE. IT'S NOT PROBLEM, SOLUTION,
YOU'RE DONE. OKAY?
IT'S RECREATING AND UNDERSTANDING WHAT THE PROBLEM
IS, WHAT THE SOLUTION IS YOU CAME UP WITH, AND LOOKING AT
THAT SOLUTION IN THE CONTEXT OF THE PROBLEM, IN THE CONTEXT OF
THE ENVIRONMENT, AND REVISING THAT SOLUTION.
OKAY? SO IT'S A CONSTANT STATE OF
THINKING THROUGH THE ISSUES. NOW, I'M GOING TO SPEND MORE
TIME ON THE NEXT ONE, SO LET'S GO TO THE NEXT SLIDE.
BECAUSE THIS IS REALLY ONE OF THE KEY SLIDES HERE.
SO THINK TO YOURSELF, WHEN YOU HAVE A PROBLEM IN YOUR
ORGANIZATION, WHAT WORDS DO YOU EVEN USE?
HOW DO YOU THINK ABOUT PROBLEMS? DO YOU TALK ABOUT, WE HAVE A
PROBLEM, WE NEED TO SOLVE IT? WE HAVE A PROBLEM, WE NEED TO
SOLVE IT. OR DO YOU TALK ABOUT, WE HAVE A
PROBLEM, WE REALLY NEED TO UNDERSTAND IT AND WE REALLY NEED
TO FRAME IT IN THE CONTEXT OF WHAT IS ACTUALLY GOING ON AND WE
NEED TO LOOK AT THE ENTIRE ENVIRONMENT?
HOW MANY PEOPLE DO THAT? YOU KNOW, YOU CAN JUST NOD.
VIRTUALLY, I HOPE YOU'RE NODDING VIRTUALLY, BUT THINK ABOUT IT.
THINK ABOUT HOW THAT WORKS. THINK ABOUT THE LANGUAGE THAT
YOU USE. DO YOU START WITH, ALREADY, SORT
OF A COHERENT PLAN OR DO YOU WORK WITH A BLANK PIECE OF
PAPER? A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T WORK WITH
A BLANK PIECE OF PARTNERSHIP BECAUSE A BLANK PIECE OF PAPER
IS HARD TO WORK WITH. I WANT -- ISN'T IT EASIER TO
HAVE SORT OF A DRAFT OR A STRAW MAN OR SOMETHING, AND THEN
COMMENT ON THAT? RIGHT?
ISN'T THAT WHAT MOST PEOPLE DO? THEY COMMENT ON SOMETHING THAT
ALREADY EXISTS. THEY DON'T START WITH A BLANK
PIECE OF PAPER BECAUSE THAT TAKES A LOT OF -- THAT'S A LOT
OF HARD WORK TO START WITH A BLANK SHEET.
NOW, DO YOU FUNCTION WITH THE EXISTING PARADIGM?
WHICH MEANS, ARE YOU SORT OF EXISTING IN THE ENVIRONMENT THAT
YOU'RE IN AND YOU'RE MAYBE CREATING SOME SORT OF SOLUTION
THAT FITS WITHIN THAT ENVIRONMENT?
OR ARE YOU TRYING TO COME UP WITH SOMETHING COMPLETELY
DIFFERENT AND NEW? ARE YOU WILLING TO TAKE THAT
RISK AND COME UP WITH SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, HASN'T
BEEN SEEN BEFORE, AND YOU'RE WILLING TO SAY, OKAY, THIS --
I'M GOING TO THINK ABOUT THIS THING IN A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT
WAY AND WE'RE GOING TO ACHIEVE SOMETHING NEW THAT WE'VE NEVER
ACHIEVED BEFORE, OKAY? THINK THROUGH YOUR OWN PROBLEMS
IN YOUR OWN ORGANIZATIONS AND THINK ABOUT THAT.
PARADIGM ACCEPTING, OKAY? SO WHEN YOU HAVE A PROBLEM IN
YOUR ORGANIZATION, DO YOU SOMETIMES SAY, WELL, YOU KNOW,
THIS IS KIND OF THE WAY IT IS, AND I'M GOING OFF TO WORK WITHIN
THIS ENVIRONMENT AND I'LL COME UP WITH SOME SOLUTION WITHIN
THIS ENVIRONMENT? IT MAY NOT BE LONG-LAST, MAY NOT
BE LONG-TERM, IT MAY BE SHORT-TERM, BUT IT WILL FIT THE
ISSUE NOW AND THEN I CAN MOVE ON TO THE NEXT THING.
OR, ARE YOU SORT OF LOOKING AT IT IN TERMS OF, YOU KNOW WHAT?
THIS ENVIRONMENT IS NOT A GOOD ENVIRONMENT.
WE NEED TO CHANGE THIS FUNDAMENTALLY AND WE NEED TO
SHIFT THAT PARADIGM TO SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, YOU KNOW,
BECAUSE I KNOW IN THE FUTURE, IF WE CAN DO THAT, THIS WILL BE A
BETTER PLACE TO BE. OKAY?
SO KIND OF THINK THROUGH THAT. THE IDEA OF PATTERNS AND
TEMPLATES. THAT'S THE SAME KIND OF THING AS
DO YOU WORK WITH SOMETHING THAT EXISTS ALREADY AND SORT OF
COMMENT ON THAT, OR DO YOU GO TO SOMETHING COMPLETELY NEW AND
DIFFERENT? SO, YOU KNOW, I MEAN, I'M NOT
ASKING ANYBODY TO RAISE THEIR HAND AND SAY, YEAH, WE STICK
WITH WHAT'S HERE AND THEN WE JUST KIND OF MAKE INCREMENTAL
CHANGES. OR YOU KNOW WHAT?
IN OUR PLACE, WHAT WE'VE DONE IS FORGOTTEN EVERYTHING THAT'S
HERE, WE START WITH A BLANK SHEET AND WE MOVE FORWARD FROM
THERE. IT'S NOT ABOUT WHAT YOU DO RIGHT
NOW SO MUCH, BUT IT'S ABOUT HOW YOU THINK ABOUT DOING THINGS IN
THE FUTURE AND IT'S ABOUT HOW YOU THINK ABOUT SOLVING PROBLEMS
IN THE FUTURE. OKAY?
I WAS JUST THINKING THERE'S NO MICROPHONE OUT HERE, SO THE
PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET ACTUALLY CAN'T HEAR WHAT YOU SAY, BUT GO
AHEAD AND SAY IT. I'LL REPEAT THE QUESTION.
[ INAUDIBLE COMMENTS ] >> YOU KNOW, THE QUESTION -- SO
THE QUESTION IS, WHEN YOU HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM REPEATEDLY,
OFTENTIMES YOU WOULD LOOK BACK AT PRIOR SOLUTIONS AND USE THOSE
PRIOR SOLUTIONS TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM.
ESSENTIALLY WHAT'S HAPPENED IS YOU HAVEN'T SOLVED THE PROBLEM.
RIGHT? BECAUSE YOU'VE USED REPEATEDLY
THE SAME SOLUTIONS OVER AND OVER AGAIN, AND THAT PROBLEM HASN'T
BEEN INVOLVED. IT MAY HAVE BEEN SOLVED
INITIALLY IN THE SHORT TERM. NOW, IF YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT
EFFICIENCY IN THE SHORT TERM, YOU ANYWAY SOLVE THE PROBLEM --
MAY SOLVE THE PROBLEM IMMEDIATELY, BUT IF YOU'RE
LOOKING AT ORGANIZATIONAL EFFICIENCY ALONG THE -- IF
YOU'RE LOOKING AT ORGANIZATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS FOR THE LONG TERM,
YOU ACTUALLY ARE NOT DOING ANY FAVORS TO YOUR ORGANIZATION BY
USING THE SAME SOLUTIONS OVER AND OVER AGAIN BECAUSE
ESSENTIALLY WHAT'S HAPPENED IS THAT SAME SOLUTION IS NOT AS
EFFECTIVE. BECAUSE IT HASN'T REALLY BEEN
THOROUGHLY THOUGHT THROUGH. AND -- THAT WAS A GREAT
QUESTION, AND SO, AGAIN, OPEN IT UP TO WHATEVER QUESTIONS YOU MAY
HAVE. THE LAST THING ON THIS CHART IS
WHEN YOU -- THE LANGUAGE YOU USE IS REALLY KEY.
HOW OFTEN DO YOU USE THE WORDS, YOU KNOW, "WE NEED TO HAVE A
DETAILED PLAN OF ACTION, WE NEED TO HAVE A BLUEPRINT."
"BLUEPRINT" IS USED A LOT. "WE NEED TO HAVE A BLUEPRINT."
DO YOU EVER SAY, "WE NEED SOME BROAD APPROACH TO SOLVE THIS
PROBLEM. WE NEED TO FIGURE OUT HOW THIS
PROBLEM IS DESIGNED SO WE UNDERSTAND THE COMPLEXITY SO
THAT IT DOESN'T HAPPEN AGAIN." THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN AS OFTEN AS
SAYING, "WE NEED A PLAN, A DETAILED PLAN," WHICH IS ONE OF
THE WORST THINGS YOU CAN ACTUALLY HAVE BECAUSE THAT SORT
OF BOUNDS YOU INTO YOUR BOX, SO TO SPEAK.
SO THE NEXT SLIDE, I LIKE PICTURES A LITTLE BIT.
I LIKE WORDS EVEN MORE, BUT I LIKE PICTURES A LITTLE BIT.
SO I WANTED YOU TO GET THE SENSE OF IN THIS SLIDE IS WHAT DESIGN
THINKING IS IS NOT JUST HAVING A PROBLEM AND A SOLUTION AND NOT
JUST UNDERSTANDING THE PROBLEM VERY SINGLE-MINDED, FOCUSED KIND
OF THING, AND THEN DEVELOPING A SOLUTION.
IT'S THIS ITERATIVE KIND OF PROCESS WHERE YOU UNDERSTAND THE
PROBLEM, YOU FRAME THE PROBLEM, YOU GET THE CONTEXT, YOU HAVE
EMPATHY FOR THE PROBLEM, YOU DEVELOP A SOLUTION, YOU
PROTOTYPE THAT, YOU PILOT IT, AND IN THE INTERIM, THE PROBLEM
MAY SHIFT SO YOUR SOLUTION KEEPS CHANGING, SO YOU'RE CONSTANTLY
LOOKING AT WHAT THAT PROBLEM AND SOLUTION IS.
IT'S A CONSTANT PROCESS. OKAY?
LET'S GO TO THE NEXT SLIDE. SO AGAIN, YOU SHOULD
REALLY-FOR-WHAT DESIGN THINKING IS -- REALLY KNOW WHAT DESIGN
THINKING IS NOW A LITTLE BIT, RIGHT?
MAYBE NOT. HERE'S SOME VERY BASIC IDEAS FOR
IT. IT'S COLLABORATIVE, AND THE IDEA
IS, IT'S THIS WHOLE IDEA OF HAVING DIFFERENT COMPLEMENTARY
EXPERIENCES, SO WHAT YOU WOULD HAVE IN AN ORGANIZATION IS YOU
DON'T WANT PEOPLE WITH ALL THE SAME SKILLS WORKING TOGETHER ON
SOMETHING, RIGHT? THAT'S NOT VERY EFFECTIVE.
IT'S THE IDEA OF HAVING PEOPLE WITH THE COMPLEMENTARY SKILLS
WORKING TOGETHER WHO CAN CREATE SOMETHING NEW.
IF EVERYONE IS OF THE SAME BRAIN OR THE SAME THOUGHT, YOU'RE
GOING TO GET KIND OF WHAT YOU GOT, WHICH WAS YOUR OWN IDEA IN
THE BEGINNING, RIGHT? WHICH IS NOT VERY EFFECTIVE.
ABDUCTIVE THINKING, WHICH IS SOMETHING I MENTIONED AT THE
BEGINNING, THE IDEA OF FINDING NEW OPTIONS TO FIND NEW AND
BETTER SOLUTIONS TO NEW PROBLEMS.
IT'S REALLY THINKING THROUGH THAT PROBLEM.
EXPERIMENTAL, WHICH IS WHAT WE TALKED ABOUT, WHICH IS THE IDEA
OF YOU NEED TO EXPERIMENT WITH THE SOLUTION, RIGHT?
BECAUSE MAYBE THE SOLUTION YOU CAME UP WITH ISN'T REALLY THE
SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM BECAUSE, ONE, THE PROBLEM EITHER KEEPS
ARISING, OR TWO, THE PROBLEM MUTATES AND CHANGES IN SOME WAY
THAT IT MAKES IT DIFFERENT SO YOU NEED TO KEEP VARYING THE
SOLUTION. IT'S PERSONAL, SO WHAT THAT
MEANS, YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND, REALLY, THE CONTEXT OF THE
PROBLEM. YOU CAN'T JUST SEE A PROBLEM ON
THE SURFACE. I MEAN, YOU CAN CERTAINLY, YOU
CAN JUST SEE A PROBLEM ON ITS SURFACE, BUT THAT'S WHEN YOU
HAVE INEFFECTIVE SOLUTIONS. THAT'S WHEN IT DOESN'T WORK, AND
I THINK THAT EVERYBODY HERE WOULD HAVE AN EXAMPLE OF WHERE
THEY WERE FACED WITH A PROBLEM, THEY CAME UP WITH A SOLUTION,
AND IT EITHER BACKFIRED, DIDN'T WORK, IT WAS VERY SHORT TERM,
AND THAT PROBLEM JUST RESURFACED AGAIN BECAUSE ESSENTIALLY WHAT
YOU DID WAS, YOU DIDN'T THINK IT THROUGH ENOUGH AND IT WAS REALLY
LIKE PUTTING A BAND-AID ON SOME FESTERING SORE THAT NEEDED
SOMETHING MORE SYSTEMATIC TO GET RID OF.
IT'S INTEGRATIVE, WHICH IS THE IDEA OF UNDERSTANDING THE
LINKSES ASSOCIATED WITH EACH PROBLEM, AND IT'S FRAMING.
FRAMING THE PROBLEM IN A CERTAIN WAY.
LET'S GO TO THE NEXT ONE, WHICH IS -- WE TALKED EARLIER ABOUT
THE WATERFALL, THAT STEP-BY-STEP PROCESS WHERE PEOPLE SPEND A LOT
OF TIME IN ONE OF THOSE AREAS. WHAT THIS IS, IT'S THE
WATERFALL, BUT WHAT'S BEEN ADDED TO IT IS THE DESIGN THINKING
PIECE OF IT, WHICH IS THIS WHOLE IDEA OF RE-EVALUATING EACH STEP
OF THAT PROCESS AND COMING UP WITH NEW WAYS OF THINKING ABOUT
HOW AM I GATHERING THE DATA, WHAT AM I EVEN DOING WITH THAT.
AM I LOOKING AT THE DATA AND FORGETTING ABOUT IT?
AM I LOOKING AT THE DATA, LOOK AT NEW DATA, I COME UP WITH NEW
IDEAS. IT'S THAT WHOLE IDEA OF
CONTINUALLY AND ITERATIVE PROCESS ON HOW YOU THINK THROUGH
PROBLEMS. ARE THERE ANY QUESTIONS SO FAR
BEFORE I GET INTO SOME OTHER STUFF?
[ INAUDIBLE COMMENTS ] [ INAUDIBLE COMMENTS ]
>> OKAY. SO TO RESTATE THE PROBLEM, THE
QUESTION WAS, HOW WOULD YOU USE DESIGN THINKING IN THE FIRM
FIXED PRICE CONTRACTING METHODOLOGY?
>> WELL, OR JUST GETTING AWAY FROM THE NOT FIRM FIXED PRICE,
WHICH IS WHERE, YOU KNOW, I'VE SEEN SYSTEMS GO OUT OF CONTROL
IN TERMS OF HOW MUCH SUPPORT THEY NEED AND HOW LONG -- HOW
MUCH IT GOES ON AND DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEET NEEDS.
>> OKAY. SO --
[ INAUDIBLE COMMENTS ] >> YES, YOU DO HAVE A CONFLICT
OF INTEREST. [ INAUDIBLE COMMENTS ]
>> RIGHT, OKAY. SO I'M TRYING TO REPHRASE THE
QUESTION SO THAT EVERYBODY CAN UNDERSTAND IT, PARTICULARLY ME,
IN TERMS OF TRYING TO ANSWER IT. SO IT'S ABOUT WHEN YOU HAVE A
FIRM FIXED CONTRACT AND IT'S NOT -- IT'S NOT ABOUT WHEN YOU
HAVE -- OKAY. BECAUSE WHAT --
[ INAUDIBLE COMMENTS ] >> WELL, ACTUALLY, I CAN'T EVEN
ANSWER A QUESTION LIKE THAT BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THIS IS ALL
ABOUT. THAT'S, THAT'S A QUESTION THAT
WOULD HAVE TO BE DONE ADMINISTRATIVELY THROUGHOUT AN
ORGANIZATION TO DETERMINE THAT. I'M TALKING ABOUT WHEN YOU
HAVE -- THIS IS A TECHNIQUE THAT YOU WOULD USE WHEN YOU HAVE
ORGANIZATIONAL PROBLEMS IN YOUR OFFICE, WHICH ARE USUALLY -- AND
I'LL GET INTO IT IN A MINUTE -- WHICH ARE USUALLY INTERPERSONAL,
WHICH ARE USUALLY -- WHICH ARE VERY MUCH INTERPERSONAL USUALLY
IN ORGANIZATIONS. WHEN YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT -- AND
LET ME TALK A MINUTE ABOUT DESIGN THINKING AGAIN AND IF WE
COULD GO TO THE NEXT SLIDE. BECAUSE WHAT I WANT -- I WANT
YOU TO GET THE IDEA OF NEEDING TO THINK THROUGH PROBLEMS IN A
DIFFERENT WAY. OKAY?
IT'S NOT ABOUT THE TECHNIQUES YOU USE WHEN SOME ADMINISTRATIVE
SORT OF THING IS IN PLACE NECESSARILY.
IT'S THE IDEA, WHEN YOU'RE FACED WITH A PROBLEM, HOW DO YOU THINK
THROUGH THAT SOLUTION? OKAY?
SO THESE ARE JUST SOME OF THE HIGHLIGHTS, AND I'VE TALKED
ABOUT A LOT OF THESE THINGS, BUT I'M GOING TO TALK ABOUT SOME
MORE AS WE GET FURTHER IN. IT'S REALLY NOT ABOUT THE --
IT'S NOT AS MUCH ABOUT THE PROBLEM, BECAUSE YOU NEED TO
UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEM IN ITS WHOLE TOTALITY.
IT'S MORE ABOUT THE SOLUTION. ALL RIGHT?
IT'S THE HUMAN CAPACITY TO UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEM.
IT'S ABOUT PARADIGM SHIFTING VERSUS STICKING WITHIN THE
PARADIGM THAT YOU HAVE. IT'S THE RIGHT BRAIN THAT WE
TALKED ABOUT AND IT'S ABOUT T-SHAPED THINKING AND I'M GOING
TO TALK A LITTLE BIT ABOUT WHAT T-SHAPED THINKING IS.
I DON'T KNOW IF ANYBODY IS FAMILIAR WITH THAT OR NOT, BUT
IT'S THE IDEA OF COMBINING ANALYTICAL THINKING, WHICH IS
THE VERTICAL LEG OF THE "T," AND HORIZONTAL THINKING, WHICH IS
THAT INTUITIVE, EMPATHETIC SORT OF THINKING.
SO CAN WE GO TO THE NEXT ONE? SO THE "T," I WANT YOU TO MAKE
SURE YOU SEE THE "T" REALLY CLEARLY HERE.
THE T-SHAPED THINKING, SOMETHING A LITTLE BIT DIFFERENT.
SO CRITICAL THINKING IS CONCERNED WITH VALUE STATEMENTS,
JUDGMENTS, YES AND NO, VERY ANALYTICAL.
NOW, LATERAL THINKING, WHICH IS THE TOP PART OF THAT "T," THE
TOP PART OF THE "T," IS ABOUT JUDGED -- ABOUT IDEA GENERATION.
YOU NEED TO COMBINE BOTH OF THOSE THINGS, THE ANALYTICAL AND
THE CREATING NEW IDEAS. LET ME GIVE YOU EXAMPLES BECAUSE
THIS WILL MAKE IT A LITTLE BIT EASIER.
SO SOMEONE WHO IS A PURELY VERTICAL THINKER, WHICH IS THE
BOTTOM PART OF THE "T," THAT'S KIND OF THE NITPICKER.
THAT'S SORT OF LIKE SOMEBODY WHO'S REALLY JUST INTO ANALYSIS
AND FACTS. IT'S EITHER THIS OR IT'S NOT.
OKAY? THAT'S SORT OF A NITPICKY
PERSON. THAT'S A PURE ANALYTICAL
THINKER. IF YOU'RE A PURE LATERAL
THINKER, WHICH IS THE TOP PART OF THE "T," THAT'S SOMEBODY
WHO'S INTO DAY DREAMING, INTO IDEA AFTER IDEA AFTER IDEA WHEN
NOTHING IS EVER IMPLEMENTED. OKAY?
I THINK WE'VE ALL SEEN PEOPLE LIKE THAT.
WE ALL KNOW PEOPLE LIKE THAT. MAYBE SOME OF US ARE PEOPLE LIKE
THAT, ONE OR THE OTHER? OKAY.
THE IDEA IS YOU NEED TO INTEGRATE BOTH OF THOSE THINGS
TO BE SUCCESSFUL. IF THAT'S A NEW IDEA FOR YOU,
THEN GREAT, THE T-SHAPED THINKER, SO THINK ABOUT THAT.
THINK. THINK IS THE KEY HERE, THINKING.
OKAY? SO LET'S GO TO THE NEXT SLIDE,
WHICH IS THE BOX. YOU NOTICE HERE, SOMETIMES YOU
FEEL CAUGHT IN THAT, LIKE YOU'RE IN THE BOX?
THEY SAY GET OUT OF THE BOX, BUT YOU CAN'T GET OUT OF THE BOX,
REALLY, CAN YOU? BECAUSE YOU'RE IN THE BOX.
IT'S HARD TO GET OUT OF THE BOX. BUT THE KEY THING HERE IS EVEN
IF THE BOX WERE TO FLIP OVER -- [ SCREAM ]
>> OKAY, YOU STILL CAN'T GET OUT OF THE BOX.
THAT LOST A LITTLE EFFECT SOMEHOW, BUT THERE WAS A SCREAM
ASSOCIATED WITH THAT. BUT EVEN IF THE BOX WERE TO FLIP
OVER, YOU CAN'T GET OUT OF THE BOX BECAUSE THERE'S A GLASS LID
ALSO, RIGHT? SO THE IDEA IS, YOU SORT OF HAVE
TO CREATE CHALLENGES FOR YOURSELF, AND THAT'S THE IDEA OF
DESIGN THINKING. YOU CREATE CHALLENGES FOR
YOURSELF BECAUSE YOU'RE REALLY NOT TRAPPED IN THAT BOX.
YOU REALLY CAN GET OUT OF THAT BOX.
IT'S GLASS, RIGHT? YOU CAN SEE WHAT'S GOING ON
AROUND YOU, YOU REALLY CAN ESCAPE FROM IT.
BUT YOU HAVE TO THINK THROUGH HOW YOU'RE GOING TO DO THAT BY
UNDERSTANDING THE COMPLEXITY OF EACH PROBLEM.
CAN WE GO TO THE NEXT ONE? NOW, I JUST TALKED ABOUT THE
BOX. I DON'T KNOW IF PEOPLE ARE
FAMILIAR WITH THIS NINE-POINT DIAGRAM.
HAVE PEOPLE SEEN THIS? IF I SAY TO YOU, THIS IS A
NINE-POINT DIAGRAM AND WE'VE TALKED A LITTLE BIT NOW ABOUT
THINKING DIFFERENT, T-SHAPED THINKING, DESIGN THINKING.
IF I SAY TO YOU, YOU TAKE THIS NINE-POINT DIAGRAM AND IN THREE
LINES, YOU NEED TO CONNECT ALL THE DOTS AND YOU CAN'T LIFT YOUR
PEN OFF THE PAPER, YOU'RE GOING TO KIND OF LOOK AT THAT AND SAY,
HMM, SURE, I CAN DO THAT. AND WHAT YOU'RE GOING TO DO IS
YOU'RE GOING TO START CONNECTING THE DOTS AND THERE'S ALWAYS
GOING TO BE SORT OF A DOT THAT'S LEFT OUT.
ISN'T THERE A DOT LEFT OUT, USUALLY?
SOMETIMES THERE'S TWO DOTS LEFT OUT DEPENDING ON WHAT WAY YOU'RE
MOVING THE PEN. AND YOU SAY, YOU KNOW WHAT?
I'LL GIVE YOU FOUR LINES. TAKE FOUR LINES AND TRY TO
CONNECT IT, AND YOU'RE KIND OF LOOKING IT AND YOU TRY AND YOU
DO A COUPLE OF THINGS. OKAY, I SEE A LOT OF PEOPLE
THINKING ABOUT IT. LET'S GO TO THE NEXT SLIDE.
SO WHAT THE NEXT SLIDE IS, IS MOVING OUTSIDE THAT BOX.
I NEVER SAID YOU WERE BOUND BY THE CONFINES OF THE DOTS.
I JUST SHOWED YOU NINE DOTS. RIGHT?
YOU SORT OF BOUND YOURSELF IF YOU WEREN'T ABLE TO FIGURE OUT
HOW TO CONNECT THE DOTS. RIGHT?
BECAUSE ONCE YOU GO OUT OF THE LINES -- I MEAN OUT OF THE
BOUNDARIES OF THE DOTS, YOU'RE ACTUALLY ABLE TO CONNECT THE
DOTS, RIGHT? SO THAT'S JUST REALLY SORT OF
THE IDEA OF, AGAIN, THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX.
OKAY? VERY SIMPLE EXERCISE, BUT, YOU
KNOW, EVEN AFTER WE JUST TALKED ABOUT THINKING IN A DIFFERENT
WAY, I THINK A LOT OF PEOPLE WERE STILL BOUND BY THE CONFINES
THAT WERE PRESENTED IN THOSE NINE DOTS.
RIGHT? WERE PEOPLE STILL SORT OF
THINKING ABOUT THAT? OKAY.
SO LET'S GO TO THE NEXT ONE. SO -- CAN EVERYONE SEE THIS
CLEARLY? OKAY.
SO THIS IS THE WHOLE IDEA OF REALLY THINKING CREATIVELY,
BEING UNORTHODOX AND NOT TIED TO CONVENTIONAL CONSTRAINTS.
NOW, DO YOU OR ANYBODY YOU KNOW OR ARE YOU -- AND YOU CAN RAISE
YOUR HANDS -- THAT SORT OF ZEBRA IN THE CENTER?
SEE THAT ZEBRA IN THE CENTER? ARE YOU WILLING TO BE THAT ZEBRA
IN THE CENTER? A LOT OF PEOPLE AREN'T WILLING
TO BE THAT ZEBRA IN THE CENTER, OKAY?
BUT THAT'S THE IDEA, TOO, OF THINKING OUTSIDE OF YOUR
BOUNDARIES, LOOKING IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION.
EVERYBODY IS LOOKING IN ONE DIRECTION AND YOU'RE THE ONE
LOOKING IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION BECAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT?
THERE'S A WHOLE BIGGER WORLD OUT THERE THAN JUST WHAT'S FACING
YOU RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, RIGHT?
LET'S GO TO THE NEXT ONE. AND THIS AGAIN IS THE IDEA OF
BEING MORE BEYOND OUT OF THE BOX, RIGHT?
DO YOU KNOW ANYBODY LIKE THAT? OR ARE YOU ANYBODY LIKE THAT?
OR HAVE YOU SORT OF DISREGARDED PEOPLE LIKE THAT?
THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS A LOT OF TIMES TOO, YOU KNOW, BECAUSE A
LOT OF TIMES THESE OUT-OF-THE-BOX, DESIGN-THINKING
PEOPLE ARE NOT THE MOST CONVENTIONAL AND THEY CAN KIND
OF SOMETIMES COME ON THE OTHER SIDE OF BUREAUCRACY AND WHAT
HAPPENS IS THEY END UP BEING THAT ONE THAT DOESN'T FIT IN,
RIGHT? OKAY?
SO JUST SORT OF UNDERSTAND WHAT THAT IS.
AND THEN LET'S GO TO THE NEXT ONE BECAUSE I TALKED A LOT ABOUT
THE BOX. YOU KNOW WHAT?
IT'S MORE THAN JUST THE BOX. YOU NEED TO THINK ABOUT, WHEN
YOU THINK THROUGH PROBLEMS, YOU NEED TO THINK ABOUT WHAT BOX AM
I ACTUALLY DEALING WITH, BECAUSE THERE'S A LOT OF BOXES, RIGHT?
THAT'S WHAT THIS IS DEPICTING. THERE ARE A LOT OF BOXES THAT
ARE THE ISSUE. IT'S NOT, YOU KNOW, I'M TRAPPED
IN ONE THING, THIS IS MY ONE PROBLEM, THIS IS MY ONE
SOLUTION. THERE'S A WHOLE WORLD OF STUFF
OUT THERE THAT YOU NEED TO CONSIDER WHEN YOU'RE
PROBLEM-SOLVING, OKAY? LET'S GO TO THE NEXT SLIDE, AND
WHAT THIS IS IS ORGANIZATIONALLY, BECAUSE AGAIN,
THIS IS ALL ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION, YOU NEED TO LOOK
AT CULTURAL NORMS THAT EXIST IN ORGANIZATIONS, WHERE YOU ARE AND
WHERE YOU NEED TO GO. RIGHT NOW GENERALLY IN A LOT OF
ORGANIZATIONS, YOU HAVE THE PREVAILING SIDE, WHICH KNOWLEDGE
IS POWER, RIGHT? IF I KNOW SOMETHING AND YOU
DON'T, I'M THE MORE POWERFUL ONE, RIGHT?
AND I DON'T REALLY WANT TO SHARE THAT BECAUSE YOU MIGHT KNOW
SOMETHING TOO, RIGHT? THAT'S KIND OF THE PREVAILING
IDEA. YOU KNOW, I NEED TO BE PERFECT,
I NEED TO BE THE ONE WHO'S THE EXPERT ON IT.
I'M SORT OF ON MY OWN ON THIS. IT'S ALL ABOUT ME AND WHAT I
KNOW BECAUSE THAT GIVES ME SOME LEGITIMACY.
THAT'S KIND OF A PREVAILING IDEA.
BUT IN TERMS OF MOVING FORWARD IN 21st CENTURY ORGANIZATIONS,
IT'S REALLY MORE ABOUT BEING COLLABORATIVE.
IT'S MORE ABOUT SHARING POWER. THE IDEA REALLY IS, YOU KNOW, IF
YOU HAVE PEOPLE WITH IDEAS THAT COME TOGETHER, YOU EACH MAY HAVE
TWO IDEAS, YOU COME TOGETHER AND YOU CAN LEAVE WITH SIX NEW
IDEAS. THAT'S THE WHOLE IDEA.
IT'S NOT THAT YOU'RE SO WONDERFUL BECAUSE YOU HAVE THE
IDEA. YOUR IDEA MAY NOT BE SO GREAT.
YOU NEED TO ACTUALLY DISCUSS IT AND YOU CAN COME UP WITH NEW
IDEAS. THAT AGAIN IS THE IDEA OF
LATERAL THINKING. AND IT'S MORE ABOUT "WE" THAN IT
IS ABOUT "I" AND "ME." THAT'S REALLY THE FUTURE OF
ORGANIZATIONS. OKAY, SO THIS IS ONE OF MY
FAVORITE SLIDES. IT'S ALMOST SELF EXPLANATORY,
BUT I'LL EXPLAIN IT ANYWAY. MAYBE IT'S NOT SELF EXPLANATORY.
IT IS TO ME. IN THE TYPICAL ORGANIZATION, YOU
HAVE AN INDIVIDUAL, RIGHT? THAT WOULD BE YOUR CURLY-HEADED
GIRL. I DON'T KNOW IF THAT REMINDS YOU
OF ANYBODY, BUT A CURLY-HEADED GIRL.
YOU HAVE THE ORGANIZATION WHICH IS DEPICTED HERE AT DANTE'S
INFERNO, A SWIRLING MESS OF CHAOS, RIGHT?
THEN YOU HAVE CONTINUAL DEMANDS THAT COME IN TO THE
ORGANIZATION, WHICH IS THE PERSON WITH THE SPEAR, RIGHT?
CONTINUAL DEMANDS AND NEW REQUESTS AND NEW THINGS COME
INTO THE ORGANIZATION, AND THEN ON TOP OF ALL THAT, YOU HAVE ALL
OF THOSE INTER-GROUP CONFLICTS, WHICH ARE THE PEOPLE FIGHT,
RIGHT? DOES THAT KIND OF DEPICT AN
ORGANIZATION GENERALLY? COULD BE ANY ORGANIZATION
ANYWHERE, ANYTHING. COULD BE A FAMILY, COULD BE
ANYTHING, RIGHT? IT'S A UNIT.
SO THAT'S SORT OF YOUR TYPICAL ORGANIZATION, BUT WHAT YOU WANT
TO GET TO -- THAT'S THE SAMPLE, BUT YOU WANT TO GET TO THE
ULTIMATE ORGANIZATION, WHICH IS ON THE NEXT SLIDE, AND SO WHAT
YOU HAVE HERE IS HAPPY PEOPLE, RIGHT?
YOU HAVE A MULTI-GENERATIONAL, THAT'S WHAT THE DIFFERENT THINGS
ARE SUPPOSED TO BE, WHETHER THEY'RE INSTALL OR LARGE,
MILLENNIAL -- SMALL OR LARGE, MILLENNIALS, BABY-BOOMERS, ALL
KINDS OF DIVERSITY IN ORGANIZATIONS, AND WHAT YOU WANT
TO GET TO WHICH IS WHAT YOU HAVE AT THE VERY BOTTOM, WHICH IS A
VERY HAPPY ORGANIZATION, RIGHT? \M \M
THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE ULTIMATELY TRYING TO GET TO.
OKAY, THANK YOU. YOU GET THE GIST, RIGHT?
YOU GET THE GIST. YOU'RE TRYING TO GET TO SOME
SORT OF SENSE OF UNITY, RIGHT? THAT'S YOUR ULTIMATE
ORGANIZATIONAL OBJECTIVE. SO THIS SLIDE -- AND I HOPE
YOU'RE THINKING TO YOURSELF AS YOU'RE LOOKING AT THESE SLIDES,
LIKE I'M NOT SURE I'VE SEEN PRESENTATIONS LIKE THIS BEFORE
WHERE THERE'S A LITTLE DIFFERENT -- THAT'S THE WHOLE
IDEA OF DESIGN THINKING, RIGHT? THEY'RE COLORFUL, JUST A LOT OF
PICTURES WITH WORDS ASSOCIATED WITH IT SO YOU CAN UNDERSTAND.
YOU'RE GOING TO UNDERSTAND MORE IF I HAD AN EMPTY FRAME HERE
THAN IF I HAD 50 WORDS ON THE SCREEN.
SO YOU'RE GOING TO GET THAT A LOT MORE.
BUT HERE'S THE IDEA OF THE FRAME.
WE TALKED ABOUT FRAMING, RIGHT, IN THE VERY BEGINNING.
WE TALKED ABOUT HOW YOU FRAME THE PROBLEM.
THE FRAME IS THE KEY AND THE IDEA IS THIS WHITE SPACE IS SORT
OF A METAPHOR AND IT'S A CANVAS OF HOW YOU SOLVED THAT PROBLEM.
SO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO REALLY WELL, JUST LIKE IN A NICE GOLD
GILDED FRAME, IS FRAME THAT PROBLEM CORRECTLY SO THAT YOU
CAN USE THE WHITE SPACE IN THE CENTER TO ACTUALLY COME UP WITH
THE SOLUTION FOR YOUR MASTERPIECE.
OKAY? SO LET'S GO TO THE NEXT ONE.
SO NOW WHEN YOU'RE FACED WITH A PROBLEM, THIS DOES NOT HAVE TO
BE YOU. [ SCREAM ]
>> OKAY? THAT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE YOU.
YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THAT.
SO I HAVE A VERY SIMPLE EXERCISE TO SHOW YOU.
IT'S A VIDEO, AND LET ME JUST SET IT UP FOR YOU SO YOU CAN
UNDERSTAND. IF WE WERE SORT OF SET UP IN A
DIFFERENT WAY, WE'D BE ABLE TO DISCUSS IT A LITTLE BIT BETTER
IN SMALL GROUPS, BUT WE'RE NOT SET UP FOR THAT RIGHT NOW.
BEFORE I SHOW THE VIDEO, THOUGH, LET ME JUST ASK IF THERE ARE ANY
QUESTIONS HERE, IF ANYBODY HAS ANY QUESTIONS.
>> IT'S A QUESTION AND MAYBE A COMMENT.
SO DESIGN THINKING, YOU'RE CONSTANTLY REEXAMINING THE
PROBLEM, DOES IT INDICATE THAT YOU ARE NEVER QUITE SURE THAT
YOU HAVE THE SOLUTION TO A PROBLEM, THAT YOU HAVE SOLVED A
PROBLEM? SO YOU KEEP GOING BACK AND
LOOKING OVER IT AGAIN CONSTANTLY, RE-EVALUATING IT.
WOULD THAT BE A CORRECT WAY TO DESCRIBE DESIGN THINKING?
>> IT DEPENDS -- THE QUESTION IS, BECAUSE YOU ARE CONTINUALLY
REEXAMINING THE PROBLEM AND THE SOLUTION, DOES THAT MEAN YOU
DON'T REALLY UNDERSTAND -- YOU DON'T REALLY CORRECTLY
UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEM? YOU KNOW, IN A LOT OF WAYS, MOST
PROBLEMS -- AND AS WE TALKED ABOUT IN THE BEGINNING,
PARTICULARLY WICKED PROBLEMS, DON'T HAVE A REAL SOLUTION.
YOU'RE CONTINUALLY -- AND THAT'S BEST WHAT THIS IS USED FOR, BUT
IN MOST INSTANCES, YOU REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEM
BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT GIVING THE TIME TO IT, NOT GIVING YOURSELF
AND OTHERS THE TIME TO UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEM.
SO OFTENTIMES, THE SOLUTION YOU COME UP WITH DOES NOT WORK
BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T THOROUGHLY THOUGHT OUT THE ENTIRE CONTEXT
OF THE PROBLEM. IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT THAT'S A
BAD THING, BECAUSE YOU'RE CONTINUALLY RE-EXAMINING.
IT ACTUALLY MEANS IT'S A GOOD THING BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT TRYING
TO PUT A SIMPLE BAND-AID ON A PROBLEM THAT YOU KNOW HAS REARED
ITS HEAD IN THE PAST AND YOU KNOW I'M COMING UP WITH A
SHORT-TERM SOLUTION BECAUSE IT'S GOING TO REAR ITS HEAD IN THE
FUTURE. I JUST DON'T HAVE TIME RIGHT NOW
TO THINK ABOUT IT, BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT A LOT OF PEOPLE DO.
I DON'T HAVE THE TIME RIGHT NOW TO REALLY THINK THROUGH A GOOD
SOLUTION, SO I'M JUST GOING TO TRY TO GET A SHORT-TERM SOLUTION
FOR IT, AND THAT WILL WORK FOR HOWEVER LONG IT WORKS.
IT COMES BACK AGAIN. I MEAN, HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE THE
SAME PROBLEM THAT KIND OF, ORGANIZATIONALLY, HAVE THE SAME
PROBLEM THAT COMES BACK OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN?
AND IT'S BECAUSE IT HASN'T BEEN SOLVED REALLY THE FIRST TIME.
OKAY, ANY MORE -- [ INAUDIBLE COMMENTS ]
[ INAUDIBLE COMMENTS ] >> RIGHT.
THE ONLY REASON IT WAS LIKE THAT WAS BECAUSE THAT WAS THE WAY I
HAD SORT OF SET IT UP. IT DOESN'T NECESSARILY NEED TO
BE AT THE SAME 100 DAYS OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT BECAUSE IT'S
CONSTANT, ITERATIVE. WHAT I WAS TRYING TO GET TO IN
THAT SLIDE WAS THAT AT EACH PHASE OF THE WATERFALL, IT'S AN
ITERATIVE PHASE. IT WOULD TAKE -- IT DOES TAKE
LONGER WITH DESIGN THINKING TO SOLVE PROBLEMS.
I MEAN, THE QUESTION YOU ASK YOURSELF, OF COURSE, IS AM I
WILLING TO INVEST THE TIME IT'S GOING TO TAKE TO REALLY THINK
THROUGH THAT PROBLEM AND TRY TO GET A GOOD SOLUTION TO IT,
KNOWING THAT A LOT OF THESE PROBLEMS DON'T HAVE A VERY EASY,
YES/NO/THIS IS THE ONE SOLUTION KIND OF THING.
SO THE QUESTION I WOULD HAVE FOR YOU, AND IF WE HAD AN
OPPORTUNITY TO KIND OF TALK IN SMALL GROUPS AND TALK AMONG
YOURSELVES, BUT WHOEVER WOULD HAVE A RESPONSE TO THESE
QUESTIONS OR ANY ONE OF THESE QUESTIONS, DID THIS PROBLEM AND
SOLUTION SORT OF FIT THE IDEA OF DESIGN THINKING?
DO YOU THINK? AND SO PEOPLE ARE SHAKING THEIR
HEADS. IS THERE ANYONE WHO WOULD LIKE
TO SAY HOW THEY THINK IT DID? BECAUSE THERE'S PEOPLE ALSO ON
THE INTERNET WHO ARE PROBABLY THINKING THROUGH THESE THINGS
TOO NOW THAT THEY HAVE SEEN THE SCENARIO.
DOES THIS ACTUALLY FIT INTO THE METHOD OF DESIGN THINKING?
DID THEY USE SOME OF THE TECHNIQUES WE JUST TALKED ABOUT
FOR DESIGN THINKING? IF ANYBODY SAW ONE OF THOSE
TECHNIQUES, IF THEY WANTED TO, YOU KNOW, OFFER THAT.
OR NOT. [ INAUDIBLE COMMENTS ]
>> RIGHT. SO SOMEONE HERE, FOR THE PEOPLE
ON THE INTERNET, SOMEONE HERE SAID THEY WERE FORCED TO GO
OUTSIDE OF THEIR NORMAL PROCEDURES TO THINK ABOUT HOW TO
SOLVE THE PROBLEM. DID ANYBODY NOTICE IN THAT ONE
CLIP WHERE THEY WERE ASKED, YOU KNOW, IS THIS GOING TO WORK, AND
THAT PERSON IMMEDIATELY SAID, WELL, IT WASN'T DESIGNED TO DO
THAT? RIGHT?
THAT'S NOT VERY MUCH DESIGN THINKING, IS IT?
THAT'S SORT OF LIKE THE USUAL, THIS IS NOT WHAT WE HAD PLANNED
FOR AND WE'RE GOING TO SORT OF STICK WITH OUR PLAN, AND I CAN'T
TELL YOU IT'S GOING TO WORK BECAUSE THAT'S NOT WHAT THE
DETAILED PLAN SAID IT WAS GOING TO DO, RIGHT?
WHICH GOES BACK TO THAT OTHER CHART WE TALKED ABOUT.
[ INAUDIBLE COMMENTS ] [ INAUDIBLE COMMENTS ]
>> OKAY. AND SO FOR THE PEOPLE WATCHING
ON THE INTERNET, WHAT SOMEONE HERE SAID WAS, WHEN THEY PUSH
THE PROJECTOR OUT OF THE WAY, FORGOT WHAT THAT THING WAS
CALLED WHEN I FIRST SAW IT, WHEN THEY PUSHED THAT OUT OF THE WAY,
THEY SAID YOU KNOW WHAT? WE'RE NOT GOING TO JUST GO TO
WHAT WE HAVE HERE THAT'S ALREADY DESIGNED OUT, WE'RE GOING TO
DRAW THIS PROBLEM OUT ANEW AND WE'RE GOING TO THINK FRESH.
[ INAUDIBLE COMMENTS ] >> THE BULB BLEW OUT, OKAY,
WHICH IS -- WELL, WHICH IS, AGAIN, THOUGH, THE BULB BLEW OUT
SO THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO GO TO THEIR OLD
THINKING, RIGHT? THEY WOULDN'T EVEN HAVE THAT
OPPORTUNITY. NOW, I UNFORTUNATELY HAVE TO END
JUST A FEW MINUTES EARLY BECAUSE THERE'S ANOTHER SESSION COMING
IN IMMEDIATELY AT 11:00, SO WHAT I'M GOING TO SAY IS I APPRECIATE
EVERYBODY COMING. I'M GOING TO BE SENDING THE
SLIDES OUT. I HOPE THAT YOU GOT SOMETHING
OUT OF THE SESSION, AND JOIN US NEXT MONTH, WE'RE DOING
SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT NEXT MONTH.
NEXT MONTH'S EVENT IS GOING TO BE ON OCTOBER 10th.
WE'RE NOT GOING WITH THE THIRD THURSDAY.
OCTOBER 10th, HUD AND THE DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY ARE
COSPONSORING A MOTIVATIONAL SPEAKER, IT'S GOING TO BE
OCTOBER 10th FROM 1:00 TO 3:00 HERE IN THE AUDITORIUM.
HER NAME IS ARIANNE DE BONBUZENE.
SHE WROTE A BOOK CALLED "THE FIRST 30 DAYS," WHICH IS GOING
TO TELL YOU HOW TO MAKE FUNDAMENTAL CHANGES IN YOUR LIFE
IN A 30-DAY PERIOD, SO I HOPE YOU CAN ATTEND THAT AND I HOPE
WE GET A WONDERFUL INTERNET AUDIENCE FOR THAT.
SO THANK YOU ALL FOR ATTENDING AND HAVE A GREAT DAY.
コツ:単語をクリックしてすぐ意味を調べられます!

読み込み中…

OCIO Learning Session: Design Thinking...What is that? - HUD - 9/20/12

8963 タグ追加 保存
Why Why 2013 年 4 月 3 日 に公開
お勧め動画
  1. 1. クリック一つで単語を検索

    右側のスプリクトの単語をクリックするだけで即座に意味が検索できます。

  2. 2. リピート機能

    クリックするだけで同じフレーズを何回もリピート可能!

  3. 3. ショートカット

    キーボードショートカットを使うことによって勉強の効率を上げることが出来ます。

  4. 4. 字幕の表示/非表示

    日・英のボタンをクリックすることで自由に字幕のオンオフを切り替えられます。

  5. 5. 動画をブログ等でシェア

    コードを貼り付けてVoiceTubeの動画再生プレーヤーをブログ等でシェアすることが出来ます!

  6. 6. 全画面再生

    左側の矢印をクリックすることで全画面で再生できるようになります。

  1. クイズ付き動画

    リスニングクイズに挑戦!

  1. クリックしてメモを表示

  1. UrbanDictionary 俚語字典整合查詢。一般字典查詢不到你滿意的解譯,不妨使用「俚語字典」,或許會讓你有滿意的答案喔