上級 5146 タグ追加 保存
動画の字幕をクリックしてすぐ単語の意味を調べられます!
単語帳読み込み中…
字幕の修正報告
>> TONIGHT, ON INSIGHTS ON PBS HAWAII, DURING THIS LEGISLATIVE SESSION, CIVIL LIBERTIES
ADVOCATES AND DRUG POLICY REFORMERS LOBBIED FOR THE DECRIMINALIZATION OF MARIJUANA, JOIN
THE DEBATE ABOUT EASING THE PENALTIES ON MARIJUANA USE.
NOW, LIVE IN OUR STUDIO, OUR HOST, DAN BOYLAN. >>DAN: ALOHA AROUND WELCOME TO INSIGHTS ON
PBS HAWAII. IM DAN BOYLAN.
A RECENT PEW RESEARCH POLL REPORTS THAT A MAJORITY OF AMERICANS APPROVE OF THE LEGALIZATION
OF MARIJUANA. THIS SHIFT IN PUBLIC OPINION WAS FORECAST
THIS PAST NOVEMBER WHEN VOTERS IN THE STATES OF WASHINGTON AND COLORADO APPROVED BALLOT
INITIATIVES LEGALIZING POT. WHILE STILL ILLEGAL FOR RECREATIONAL USE,
MARIJUANA USE FOR MEDICINAL PURPOSES IS LEGAL IN HAWAII AND 17 OTHER STATES.
HAWAII LAWMAKERS THIS SESSION DEBATED MARIJUANA RELATED BILLS THAT RANGE FROM ITS LEGALIZATION
TO REDUCTIONS OF THE PUNISHMENT FOR POSSESSION OF UP TO 20 GRAMS.
THATS 47 TO 50 MARIJUANA CIGARETTES. RIGHT?
FROM A PETTY MISDEMEANOR TO A $100 CIVIL FINE. A BILL TO TRANSFER THE MEDICAL MARIJUANA PROGRAM
FROM THE STATE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY TO THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH IS STILL PENDING.
TONIGHT, WELL EXPLORE THE FATE OF THE PROPOSED LEGISLATION AS WELL AS EXAMINE CURRENT MEDICAL
LAWS AND MEDICAL MARIJUANAS USE IN HAWAII. WE INVITE YOU TO JOIN THE CONVERSATION BY
CALLING, E MAILING OR TWEETING YOUR QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS.
OR YOU CAN JOIN OUR LIVE BLOG. THE CONTACT INFORMATION YOU NOW SEE ON YOUR
SCREEN WILL BE SHOWN REGULARLY THROUGHOUT THE PROGRAM.
INSIGHTS IS ALSO STREAMING LIVE ON OUR COMPUTER AND WILL BE POSTED ON OUR WEBSITE AFTER THE
BROADCAST. NOW TO OUR PANEL.
PAMELA LICHTY IS THE PRESIDENT OF THE DRUG POLICY ACTION GROUP WHICH FOCUSES ON SERVES
AS A BOARD MEMBER OF THE DRUG POLICY ALLIANCE. A NATIONAL ORGANIZATION THAT PROMOTES ALTERNATIVES
TO CURRENT DRUG POLICIES. SHES ALSO ON THE BOARD OF THE DIRECTORS OF
THE AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION OF HAWAII. PAM HOLDS MASTERS DEGREE IN PUBLIC HEALTH.
ALAN SHINN IS THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE NONPROFIT COALITION FOR A DRUG FREE HAWAII,
WHICH WAS FORMED IN 1987. CDFHS MISSION IS TO REDUCE OR PREVENT DRUG
ABUSE THROUGH COLLABORATIVE EFFORTS BY EDUCATORS AND SOCIAL SERVICE PROVIDERS.
ALAN HAS SERVED ON THE HONOLULU MAYORS DRUG TASK FORCE AS WELL AS OTHER ORGANIZATIONS
ADDRESSING SUBSTANCE ABUSE. ALAN HOLDS A MASTERS DEGREE IN SOCIAL WORK.
CHARLES WEBB IS A PARTICIPATING MEDICAL MARRIAGE PHYSICIAN LOCATED ON THE BIG ISLAND AND THE
FOUNDER OF THE MEDICAL USE OF MARIJUANA CLINIC OR MUM HAWAII.
DR. WEBB ALSO PRACTICES URGENT CARE MEDICINE AND WAS AN EMERGENCY ROOM PHYSICIAN FOR OVER
30 YEARS. JAMES HOCHBERG IS PRESIDENT OF THE HAWAII
FAMILY ADVOCATES, A NONPROFIT LEGISLATIVE ACTION ARM OF THE HAWAII FAMILY FORUM.
ITS MISSION IS TO EDUCATE, LOBBY, FOR LEGISLATION AND PARTICIPATE IN THE POLITICAL ACTIVITIES
THAT ADVANCE THE INTERESTS OF FAMILIES, FAITH AND FREEDOM.
JIM IS AN ATTORNEY. WELL, IF THIS WAS THE YEAR FOR THE LEGALIZATION
OF MAYOR OF MARIJUANA, ATTA LEAST ELECTIONS IN POLLS THAT SHOW THAT OPINION FOR IT SEEMS
TO BE RISING, WHY DIDNT IT GET ANYWHERE IN THIS SESSION OF THE LEGISLATURE?
PAM, YOU WATCH THIS FAIRLY CLOSELY. >> I WATCH IT VERY CLOSELY.
FIRST OF ALL, I WANT TO SAY THANKS FOR HAVING ALL OF US HERE TONIGHT.
THIS IS A REALLY TIMELY DISCUSSION. AND WERE PLEASED THAT HAWAII IS FINALLY HAVING
A SERIOUS CONVERSATION ABOUT MARIJUANA. THE JOKING HAS KIND OF STOPPED AN PEOPLE ARE
LOOK AT IT SERIOUSLY. THERE WERE ABOUT 20 BILLS INTRODUCED THIS
SESSION. ON ALL ASPECTS OF MARIJUANA.
INDICATING THAT THE INTEREST LEVEL THAT IS OUT THERE.
AS YOU SAID, COLORADO AND WASHINGTON STATE TAKING THE BOLD MOVE TO LEGALIZE IT THROUGH
VOTER INITIATIVES REALLY KIND OF SET THE STAGE IN A LOT OF OTHER STATES ARE NOW LOOKING TO
SEE WHAT THEY CAN DO TO REFORM WHAT THEY SEE AS NONFUNCTIONAL LAWS.
16 STATES HAVE ALREADY DECRIMINALIZED INCLUDING SOME SURPRISING ONES, LIKE MISSISSIPPI, OHIO,
NEBRASKA, AND. >>DAN: WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY DECRIMINALIZE?
>> OKAY. IN SOME STATES, ITS A LITTLE BIT DIFFERENT,
BUT GENERALLY, IT MEANS REMOVING CRIMINAL PENALTYINGS FOR POSSESSION OF A SMALL A, THE
AMOUNT VARIES FROM STATE TO STATE. AROUND REPLACING IT WITH A CIVIL FINE.
CITATION LIKE A PARKING TICKET. AND USUALLY, FINE OF USUALLY $100 IS THE AVERAGE
AND ONE OUNCE IS ABOUT THE AVERAGE AMOUNT THATS PERMITTED.
>>DAN: WE HAVE NOT DONE THAT? >> NO.
WE HAVE NOT. >>DAN: IS THERE ANY  THERES NOTHING STILL
ALIVE AT THE LEGISLATURE THAT WOULD INDICATE WERE GOING TO DO IT THIS YEAR?
>> WELL, YOU KNOW, THINGS CAN HAPPEN AT THE LAST MINUTES, BUT IT LOOKS LIKE NO.
IT WENT THROUGH THE SENATE WHERE IT PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.
BILL I WILL TO DECRIMINALIZE. THEN IT OVER TO THE HOUSE, THROUGH SEVERAL
COMMITTEES ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR OF THE HOUSE AND THEY VOTED TO RECOMMIT IT TO COMMITTEE.
TO THE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE THE LAST ONE. THAT MEANS THEY DIDNT THINK THEY HAD THE VOTES
TO PASS IT. BUT NEITHER DID ANYONE HAVE TO GO ON RECORD
TO SAY WHERE THEY STOOD. >>DAN: ALAN SHINN, WHY DONT YOU WANT THESE
BILLS TO PASS? WHY SHOULDNT WE LEGALIZE IT.
>> I THINK MARIJUANA IS A HEALTH PROBLEM FOR HAWAII AND I THINK LEGALIZATION IS WHAT HAPPENS
WHEN PEOPLE ARE NOT REALLY INFORMED ABOUT THE DRUG.
SO I THINK THE PAST ATTITUDES AND OPINIONS ABOUT MARIJUANA, THERES A LOT OF MISCONCEPTIONS
AND I WOULD SAY THAT ITS A MAJOR PROBLEM IN TERMS OF TRYING TO EDUCATE PEOPLE AND CATCH
THEM UP BECAUSE I THINK MANY OF OUR OPINIONS AND FEELINGS ABOUT MARIJUANA GO WAY BACK TO
I THINK IN THE SIXTIES AND SEVENTIES. WITH ALL THE SCIENCE BASED INFORMATION THAT
WE NOW HAVE ON MARIJUANA, WE HAVENT, OUR OPINIONS AND FEELINGS ABOUT IT HAVE NOT REALLY CAUGHT
UP WITH THE TECHNOLOGY AND THE SCIENCE THAT WE HAVE.
>>DAN: WHAT SCIENCE SPECIFICALLY, I CAN SAY THAT WORD, ARE YOU REFERRING TO THAT SAYS
THAT MARIJUANA IS A HEALTH PROBLEM, THAT ITS GOING TO CAUSE US TROUBLE?
>> WE HAVE TO LOOK AT MARIJUANA LIKE WE LOOK AT OTHER DRUGS.
ITS A PUBLIC HEALTH ISSUE. THERE ARE HARMFUL EFFECTS OF ANY DRUG, BUT
FOR MARIJUANA, WE KNOW THAT ITS LINKED TO ASSOCIATED WITH PSYCHOSIS, DEPRESSION AND
PARANOIA. IM TALKING ABOUT CHRONIC PERSISTENT USE OF
HIGH GRADE POTENT MARIJUANA THAT WE HAVE NOWADAYS. ITS NOT SAME MARIJUANA THAT OUR MAYBE WE SMOKED,
DAN, YOU AND I SMOKED WAY BACK IN THE DAYS. >>DAN: NOT ME.
MAYBE YOU. NOT ME.
>> SO POTENCY IS NOW MUCH HIGHER. MARIJUANA HAS BEEN GMOD AND NOW, WE HAVE POTENCY
LEVELS THAT ARE 10 TIMES WHAT IT WAS IN THE SIXTIES AND 70S.
>>DAN: IS THAT TRUE? I READ SOMETHING ON THAT TOO.
THEY SEEM TO INDICATE IT IS MORE POTENT. >> WELL, THIS IS MISERY.
THE PEOPLE WHO ARE OPPOSED TO MARIJUANA PRETEND THAT ITS DANGEROUS BECAUSE ITS PERHAPS BEEN
IMPROVED FROM 4% TO 8% THC. THATS WHEN THEYRE TALKING ABOUT.
>>DAN: THC IS  >> PSYCHO ACTIVE CHEMICAL IN MARIJUANA.
OR CANNABIS, IF WERE TALKING MEDICALLY, THE PROPER WORD WOULD BE CANNABIS.
MARIJUANA COVERS IT. ANYWAY, THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, THE DEA ACTUALLY
BRAGS ABOUT HOW EFFECTIVE 100% THC. MARINOL PILLS AND TRIES TO GET US TO BELIEVE
THAT 8% IS DANGEROUS WHILE 100% IS PERFECTLY FINE IN PILL FORM.
SO THERES A DOUBLE STANDARD. IN FACT, THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MARIJUANA REPRESENTS
A DOUBLE STANDARD. IT WAS ORIGINALLY MADE ILLEGAL BECAUSE MUCH
PEOPLE WITH COLOR. MEXICANS AND BLACK MUSICIANS AND BLACK PEOPLE,
IT WAS DEFINITELY MADE TO HURT THESE PEOPLE. IT STILL DOES.
THATS WHOS IN JAIL NOW BECAUSE OF IN ARE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE OF COLOR, YOUNG PEOPLE
AND IT RUINS THEIR LIFE. HEALTH HAZARDS, I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO NAME.
I ADDRESS THE PSYCHOSIS THING IF YOU LIKE. THATS MANY OF THE THINGS BROUGHT UP THAT ARE
FAULTS. >>DAN: I HAVE READ A LITTLE BIT ON IT.
AS I UNDERSTAND IT, IT CAN BE ADDICTIVE IN ONE ON ONE IN 11 USERS?
>> HAWAII MEDICAL ASSOCIATION HAS RESOLUTION WHICH SAYS THAT IT IS MINIMALLY OR NONADDICTIVE
AND THEY RECOMMEND THAT IT BE DOWN SCHEDULED SO THAT IT CAN BE PROPRESCRIBED.
PERHAPS HE KNOWS MORE THAN THE HAWAII MEDICAL ASSOCIATION ON THERE, BUT I REALLY DOUBT IT.
>> GO HAD HE HAD. >> 2011, THE DEA WAS PETITIONED TO UNSCHEDULE
IT AS A SCHEDULE 1 DRUG. BASED ON SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE, THEY DECLINED.
SO I WOULD THINK THAT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT REGULATORS OF MARIJUANA THAT REQUIRE THAT
IT BE SCHEDULE 1 DRUG WOULD KNOW WHAT THEYRE TALKING ABOUT.
>>DAN: DOESNT THE SCIENCE SAY SOMETHING ABOUT IF KIDS USE IT VERY YOUNG, THERES A DANGER?
IN FACT, SOME OF THE DECRIMINALIZATION SAID ITS DECRIMINALIZED FOR PEOPLE OVER 21.
ISNT THAT RIGHT? WHERE COLORADO AND WASHINGTON HAS GONE?
>> RIGHT. ISNT THAT BASED ON SCIENCE?
>> NO. ITS BASED ON GUESS WORK BECAUSE NONE OF US
WANT OUR CHILDREN DOING COFFEE. NONE OF US WANT OUR CHILDREN DOING CIGARETTES.
WE DONT WANT OUR CHILDREN DOING PSYCHO ACTIVE DRUGS EVEN THOUGH WE SOMETIMES LET THEM DRINK
DR. PEPPER AND COCA COLA COULD A FULL OF CAFFEINE.
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT DID NOT BASE THEIR STUDIES ON SCIENCE.
IT WAS PURE POLITICS. JUDGE SAID IT SHOULD BE DOWN SCHEDULED AND
THEY HAVE NO SCIENCE. THIS WAS FEDERAL COURT AND I HAD ENTIRE FEDERAL
BRIEF IN THE DEA. HERES WHAT THEY SAID ABOUT PSYCHOSIS.
IF FROM THE FED DATA. DOES NOT SUGGEST A CAUSATIVE LINK BETWEEN
THE MARIJUANA USE AND DEVELOPMENT OF PSYCHOSIS. IF I GIVE AWE SHOT OF CORE ZONE, HERES THE
THING FROM THE FLIER, CAN LEAD TO FRANK PSYCHOTIC MANIFESTATIONS, EMOTIONAL INSTABILITY OR TSAI
COULD THE PARTICULAR TENDENCIES MAY BE AGGREGATED BY CORTICOSTEROIDS.
KNOWN AS STEROID RAGE. THERES AUTOMOBILE A DOUBLE STANDARDS HERE.
USUALLY HYPOTHETICAL DANGERS OF MARIJUANA BUT THEY NEVER HAVE THE STUDIES OR STUDIES
TO SHOW DANGER. WERE TALKING ABOUT A PILL THATS LESS ADDICTING
THAN CAFFEINE AND SAFER THAN TILE NOT AND ASPIRIN AND YET THEY HAVE IT CLASSIFIED AND
TREATED AS MORE DANGEROUS THAN HEROIN. THERES NO SCIENCE THERE.
PURE POLITICS AND THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HAS BEEN VERY DISINGENUOUS.
>> DAN, THE CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES ACT MANDATES THAT THE SCHEDULING AND APPROVAL OF DRUGS
INCLUDING MARIJUANA MUST BE DONE ON BOTH LEGAL AND SCIENTIFIC BASIS.
SO IF THEYRE NOT FOLLOWING THE STATUTE AND MAKING POLITICAL DECISIONS, I WOULDNT THINK
THATS WHATS GOING ON. >> STUDIES, THERES BEEN LONG TERM STUDIES
ABOUT THE EFFECTIVE MARIJUANA ON ESPECIALLY YOUNG PEOPLE.
UNDER 18. AND SHOWN THAT THERE IS SCIENCE, THERE ARE
CORRELATES TO MEMORY LOSS, LEARNING DISABILITIES, AND IT GOES ON AND ON.
SO I THINK THAT THERE ARE STUDIES THAT REALLY SHOW THAT, DR. WEBB.
>> IF YOU WANT TO PROTECT THE CHILDREN, YOU HAVE TO BE HONEST.
AND THE PROBLEMS HERE ARE NUMBER ONE, IF YOU LIE TO THE CHILDREN AND TELL THEM MARIJUANA
IS DANGEROUS WHICH I WAS LIED TO AND IT MADE ME VERY SKEPTICAL.
I DIDNT BELIEVE THE OTHER THINGS THEY TOLD ME BECAUSE THEY WERE DISHONEST TO ME AND TOLD
ME MARIJUANA WAS DANGEROUS. THE OTHER THING IS ITS ALREADY AVAILABLE EVERYWHERE.
MY 3 KIDS ALL WENT TO HIGH SCHOOL ON A MILITARY ACADEMY AND THEY COULD GET ANY DRUG THEY WANTED
AT SCHOOL. PROHIBITION MEANS THE DEALER GETS TO DECIDE
WHO DOES IT RATHER THAN THE GOVERNMENT. AND I DONT KNOW.
THATS NOT WHAT I WANT. >> OUR AGENCY DOES PREVENTION.
WILLS DO TREATMENT. WE WORK WITH JUVENILE DRUG COURT.
MANY OF THE KIDS WHO COME IN, YOUTH WHO COME IN HAVE PROBLEMS WITH DRUGS OBVIOUSLY.
AND MARIJUANA IS USUALLY ONE OF THEM. WE SEE A LOT OF PROBLEMS AROUND THEIR CHRONIC
USE OF MARIJUANA. FUNCTIONING LEVELS, JUST THEIR BEHAVIOR, LOWER
FUNCTIONING. THEY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH.
>> JUST LIKE ANY OTHER DRUG. >> IF YOU WANT THE USE TO GO DOWN, IT GOES
DOWN IN COUNTRIES WHERE IT HAS BEEN DECRIMINALIZED. IN HOLLAND, THEY HAVE SINGLE DIGIT TEEN USE.
WE HAVE A WAR ON DRUGS AND WE HAVE 30 SOME% TEEN USE F YOU REALLY WANT TEEN USE AND YOUTH
USE TO GO DOWN, YOU LEGALIZE IT AND REGULATE IT.
>> I WAS GOING TO SAY THAT I THINK WE COULD GO ON ALL NIGHT WITH DULYING STUDIES.
STUDIES THAT SHOW TOTALLY OPPOSITE THINGS. ID LIKE TO STIPULATE AS A PUBLIC HEALTH PERSON
THAT ALL PSYCHO ACTIVE DRUGS HAVE SOME DEGREE OF ARM.
ITS A MATTER OF DEGREE. SO I THINK OUR ARGUMENT IS THAT WERE ALREADY
REGULATING ALCOHOL AND TOBACCO WHICH ARE OBJECTIVELY FAR MORE HARMFUL.
AND SO WHY ARE WE TREATING THIS AS SOMETHING THAT IS BEYOND THE PALE?
SOME OF THE CRITERIA GET FEDERAL GOVERNMENT USES FOR SCHEDULING, FOR SOMETHING TO BE SCHEDULE
1, WHICH IS THE MOST STRICTEST SCHEDULE T. MEANS THAT IT CANT BE USED FOR RESEARCH UNLESS
THE NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF DRUG ABUSE AGREES, WHICH THEY OFTEN DO NOT.
AND HAS TO MEET ALL THE 3 CRITERIA. THEY ARE, THAT HAS NO RECOGNIZED MEDICAL VALUE.
18 STATES PLUS DC DISAGREE ABOUT THAT. IT HAS A HIGH POTENTIAL FOR ABUSE.
WE CAN ARGUE THAT ONE. BUT ITS AGAIN, A MATTER OF RELATIVE HARM.
SO I WOULD SAY. AND THE THIRD CRITERIA IS THAT.
>> ITS TOO UNSAFE FOR PHYSICIANS TO PRESCRIBE. WEVE NEVER HAD A DEATH FOR IT.
EVERY OTHER THING I CAN PRESCRIBE CAN KILL PEOPLE.
EVEN CAFFEINE PEOPLE CAN KILL PEOPLE IN OVERDOSE. NOBODY HAS DIED FROM IT AND THEYRE SAYING
ITS TOO DANGEROUS FOR DOCTORS TO PRESCRIBE. THATS NOT SCIENCE.
>>DAN: ISNT ONE OF THE ARGUMENTS THAT ITS AN ENTRY LEVEL DRUG?
ISNT THAT A FAIRLY COMMON ARGUMENT THAT USED, THAT YOU START WITH MARIJUANA AND THEN YOU
HEAD TO METH, I GUESS, AND SO ON. IS THAT  .
YEAH. I DONT 
>>DAN: ANY VIABILITY. >> I DONT THINK WERE TALKING REFER MADNESS
NOWADAYS. THATS GONE.
THAT PART IS GONE. I THINK WHAT I THINK WHAT WERE SAYING IS THAT
IT CAN BE A GATEWAY DRUG FOR SOME PEOPLE OF THE NOT EVERYBODY.
ITS THE WAY YOUR BRAIN IS WIRED. YOUR POTENTIAL FOR ADDICTION, SOMETIMES IS
HEREDITARY. BUT YOU KNOW, NOT, I WOULDNT SAY ITS A GATEWAY
DRUG FOR EVERYONE. I THINK FOR SOME PEOPLE T. IS.
AND WE HAVE PEOPLE THAT HAVE COME THROUGH OUR CLINIC SEEKING ASSISTANCE WHO SAID, YEAH,
I STARTED WITH MARIJUANA. AND NOW, IM ON METH OR COCAINE OR HEROIN AND
I STARTED WHEN I WAS 15 YEARS OLD. SO YOU SEE THAT PATTERN OF ADDICTION.
YOU DO. BUT I MEAN, IN CERTAIN INDIVIDUALS.
CERTAINLY. BUT THE GATEWAY THEORY HAS BEEN DISCREDITED
FOR A LONG TIME AND REALLY DEFINITIVE ONE WAS IN 1999 WHEN THE INSTITUTE OF MEDICINE
ISSUED A REPORT ABOUT THE VARIOUS PROPERTIES OF MARIJUANA AND THEY SAID, THAT THERE IS
NO CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE. QUOTE, DRUG AFFECTS OF MARIJUANA ARE CAUSALLY
LINKED TO THE SUBSEQUENT ABUSE OF OTHER ILLICIT DRUGS.
YES, THERE MAY BE A PATTERN THAT YOU SEE IN ONE PARTICULAR PERSON THAT THEY START WITH
MARIJUANA. WELL, THEY START WITH THAT USUALLY ACTUALLY
THEY START WITH ALCOHOL AND NICOTINE. THOSE ARE READILY AVAILABLE.
BUT THEY WOULD START WITH MARIJUANA ALMOST NATURALLY BECAUSE ITS THE MOST PREVALENT BY
FAR, SOME 10 MILLION AMERICANS STILL USE IT AND I CANT REMEMBER THE FIGURE FOR PEOPLE
HAVE USED IT OVER THE YEARS. WITH YOU ITS THE MOST READILY AVAILABLE.
SO IT JUST SORT OF MAKES SENSE. BUT THERES OTHER THEORIES TOO.
THAT NONCONFORMING TEENAGERS ARE LIKELY TO TRY IT BECAUSE ITS OUT THERE, BECAUSE IT SOUNDS
EXCITING, BECAUSE THERES FORBIDDEN FRUIT ANGLE TO IT.
AND THE OTHER THING THAT I THINK IS VALID ABOUT THE GATEWAY EFFECT IS THAT IT GIVES
THE PERSON WHO IS ACQUIRING THE MARIJUANA EXPOSURE TO THE OTHER DRUGS THAT ARE ON THE
BLACK MARKET. SO AND I THINK WE COULD TALK ABOUT ICE AND
MARIJUANA IN HAWAII AND THERES KIND OF AN INTERESTING EXAMPLE CASTLE & COOKE THERE.
>> THERES ALSO THE CONFORMING TEENAGERS WHO CURRENTLY WOULDNT SMOKE MARIJUANA BECAUSE
ITS ILLEGAL AND IF IT WAS LEGALIZED OR DECRIMINALLED, THAT GATE FOR THEM WOULD BE GONE AND I THINK
THATS AN IMPORTANT POINT AS WELL. >> ALAN IS HOT GOING BELIEVE ME, BUT I DIDNT
USE MARIJUANA VERY MUCH. >> VERY MUCH.
>>DAN: AS I TELL PEOPLE. PUT ME TO SLEEP AND THAT WASNT THE WAY I LIKED
TO PARTY. I HAVE TALKED TO SOME YOUNG PEOPLE ABOUT THIS.
TALKED TO SOME YOUNGER GENERATIONS. I AM SHOCKED BY WHAT JIM SAYS.
A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE NOT, A LOT YOUNG PEOPLE ARE NOT USING MARIJUANA.
WHILE IVE TALKED TO SOME WHO SAID, DAD, I SAID SOMETHING, EVERYBODY USES MARIJUANA.
EVERYBODY IS DOING MARIJUANA. YOU DONT KNOW ANYBODY UNDER A CERTAIN AGE
THATS NOT DOING MARIJUANA. I ALSO TALKED TO A LOT OF KIDS WHO ARE NOT
DOING IT AND HAVE NO INTENTION OF DOING IT. IF WE PUT IT OUT THERE ALONG WITH THE WINE
SHOP AND COFFEE SHOP AND SALOON, ARENT THEY GOING TO BE DOING IT.
>> NO. OF THE EXPERIMENT HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE.
THE PLACES LIKE PORTUGAL AND HOLLAND DECRIMINALIZE DOLLARS IT COMPETELY AND USE GOES GOES DOWN
AND THEIR TEENAGERS AND YOUTH HAVE A MUCH LOWER RATE OF USE BECAUSE ITS NO LONGER COOL.
IF GRANDMA USES IT, ITS NOT COOL. IF MY PARENTS SMOKE IT, ITS NOT COOL.
THERES A HUGE FORBIDDEN FRUIT THING. I WOULD KIND OF LIKE TO STAND THIS ARGUMENT
ON ITS HEAD BECAUSE THERES SOMETHING THAT PEOPLE OUTSIDE OF MEDICAL CANNABIS DONT KNOW
ABOUT AND ITS ACTUALLY GAINING A REPUTATION AS AN EXIT DRUG.
I HAD PATIENTS COME TO ME, YESTERDAY, CERTIFIED MASSIVE DOSES OF OPIOIDS WHICH ARE THINGS
LIKE OXYCONTIN, HILL BILLY HEROIN, THESE ARE DEADLY DRUGS.
ONE PILL CAN KILL A KID. THESE ARE LEGAL PRESCRIPTIONS.
THESE CAUSE MORE DEATHS NOW THAN PRESCRIPTION DRUGS AND TRAFFIC FATALITIES IN MO MOST STATES.
THESE THINGS ARE VERY DANGEROUS. AND MANY OF MY PATIENT PEARL CITY COME AND
GET CERTIFIED WITHIN A YEAR, OF USING MEDICAL MAY ERIN TO RELIEF THEIR PAIN, WITH ENCOURAGE.
, THEYRE ABLE TO TAPER OFF AND COMPLETELY GO GET OFF THESE DEADLY DRUGS. ITS ACTUALLY
AN EXIT DRUG IN MANY WAYS. THE ARGUMENT THAT IT LEADS TO OTHER DRUGS
IS ONE OF THOSE AD HOC ERGOT PROMPTER HOCK, AFTER THE FACT, BECAUSE OF THE FACT, THE ROOSTER
CROWS AND THE SUNRISES, THEREFORE, THE ROOSTER MADE THE SUNRISE.
PEOPLE USE MARIJUANA BEFORE OTHER DRUGS BECAUSE ITS MILDER AND SAFER AND THATS THE FIRST THING
THEY TRY. YOU CAN GO BACK TO I USED MILK FIRST OR ANYTHING
THAT YOU LIKED, APPLE PIE. WHATEVER.
>> JIMS REFERENCE TO THAT JUMP IN USE, NOT ONLY AMONG TUNE ABLERS BUT ADULTS MAY BE TRUE
TO A CERTAIN EXTENT. MOST PLACES THAT HAVE DECRIMINALIZED, WHOLE
LIST OF STATES THAT HAVE, THEY FOUND THE USES ACTUALLY GONE DOWN.
I DONT THINK ANYBODY CAN REALLY OFFER A GOOD EXPLANATION FOR IT EXCEPT THAT SOME OF THE
MYSTIC HAS BEEN TAKEN AWAY FROM IT. BUT THATS WHAT THE EVIDENCE SHOWS.
YOURE WARE OF THAT STUDY IN COLORADO AFTER THEY DECRIMINALIZE IT.
THE RANDOM DRUG TESTING OF TEENAGERSES WAS GREATLY INCREASED THE PREVALENCE OF HAVING
SMOKED MARIJUANA. JUST RECENTLY. THE SCHOOL EXPULSION IN COLORADO HAS RISEN
WITHIN THE LAST YEAR. >> DIFFERENT TOPIC.
EVIDENCE SHOWS THAT FOR KIDS TO REMAIN ENGAGED IN SCHOOL, IN COMMUNITY, ITS BETTER THAN PARTICULAR
KICKING THEM OUT OF SCHOOL WHERE THEY MAY SIT AROUND ALL DAY AND SMOKE HE MARIJUANA.
AS I UNDERSTAND, ANY BILL THATS BEING DISCUSSED, DECRIMINALIZING, THEY WOULD STILL REGULATE
IN REGARD TO YOUTH, RIGHT? >> YES.
INTO. >>DAN: THERE WOULD BE A 21 YEAR AGE GROUP,
21 COULDNT HAVE DID BEFORE THE AGE OF 21. ITS DANGEROUS TO DRIVE ON MARIJUANA, RIGHT?
>> YES. >>DAN: YOU ADMITTED YOURE A BIG USER OR WERE
A BIG USER. IT WAS DANGEROUS TO DRIVE.
>> IT DOESNT LOOK  >> THATS AGAINST THE LAW.
DRIVING WHILE INTOXICATED IS ALREADY AGAINST THE LAW.
HOW WILL THEY KNOW HOW TO MEASURE THE LEVELS OF INTOXICATION WITH THE PRECISION THAT THEY
CAN ALCOHOL. >> CHECK THE REDNESS OF THE EYES.
YOURE CITE. >> WE ALL KNOW THAT.
I WOULD SEE A PERSON WHO IS NOT USED TO ALCOHOL WILL HAVE A LEVEL OF 80 HIGHLY INTOXICATED.
ALCOHOLIC WILL COME IN WITH AIL LEVEL OF 600 AND TALK TO YOU WITHOUT SLURRING.
THERES NO ACCURACY TO ALCOHOL EITHER. WE MAKE OUR BEST GUESS AND WE GO WITH IT.
ALCOHOL IS THOUSANDS OF TIMES MORE DANGEROUS THAN ALCOHOL.
MOST PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT ACQUAINTED  . THAN MARIJUANA.
PEOPLE ARE UNACQUAINTED WITH MARIJUANA IMAGINE IT FOR LACK OF A BETTER COMPARISON, AS BEINGING
SOMETHING LIKE ALCOHOL. ITS JUST THE OPPOSITE.
IT MAKES PEOPLE NICE. IT MAKES THEM LAUGH.
RATHER THAN MAKING THEM FIGHT AND DRIVE AUTOMOBILES TOO FAST.
IT MIGHT MAKE THEM DRIVE AUTOMOBILES TOO SLOW AND I AGREE, THEY SHOULD NOT.
BECAUSE THEY WILL GO TOO SLOW. >> WEVE SEEN 40 YEARS OF SAMSA AND NIDA HAVE
TRACKED DRUG USE OVER 40 YEARS. WHEN THE PERCEPTION OF HARM FOR A DRUG GOES
DOWN, USE GOES UP. WHEN PERCEPTION OF HARM GOES UP, USE GOES
DOWN. WEVE SEEN THIS PATTERN.
>> THERE IS OTHER FACTORS AT PLAY. IF YOU LOOK AT TOBACCO AS A COMPARISON, ITS
REALLY HALF. THAT IS SOCIAL ATTITUDES AND THE ROLE OF EDUCATION
WHICH IS NEAR AND DEAR TO YOUR HEART AND TO OURS AS WELL.
THEN DRAMATIC DECREASES HAVE BEEN SEEN A CROSS THE COUNTRY IN ADULT AND TEENAGERS USING TOBACCO
AND THATS BEEN A MATTER OF PUBLIC EDUCATION AND PRESSURE.
IN OUR PARENTS DAY, IT WAS GLAM US RUSS TO MIKE CIGARETTES.
THINK OF THE OLD MOVIES. AND NOW, MY 87 YEAR OLD MOTHER SAID SHE FELT
LIKE A PARIAH WHEN SHE WAS SMOKING IN PUBLIC. SO.
>> I GUESS THERES REALLY A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TOBACCO AND MARIJUANA.
I THINK THAT ADDICTIVE QUALITIES OF MARIJUANA, ONE IN SIX YOUTH BECOME ADDICTED.
ONE IN 10 ADULTS. 53% IN HAWAII YOUTH ARE IN TREATMENT BECAUSE
OF MARIJUANA. THEYRE NOT BEING FORCED TO COME IN.
A LOT OF THEM ARE COMING IN ON THEIR OWN BECAUSE THEY CANT FUNCTION.
THEYRE REALLY WORRIED ABOUT IT. >> MY UNDERSTANDING THAT IS
OF THE KIDS WHO COME IN FOR TREATMENT. >> ARENT MANY OF THOSE COURT MANDATED REFERRALS?
>> NONE OF THIS IS SCHOOL BASED. WHERE IS VOLUNTARY.
ITS VOLUNTARY AND CONFIDENTIAL. KIDS ARE COMING IN AND ASKING FOR HELP.
COUNSELOR IS NOT SAYING YOURE HAVING PROBLEMS. YOURE COMING IN BECAUSE OF THIS POTENCY IS
MARIJUANA IS SO HIGH. >> WE HAVE TO GET BACK TO THAT POTENCY ISSUE.
LETS ADDRESS THAT. THATS THE WORST CASE SCENARIO.
1 OF 6 BECOME ADDICTED. HES TRYING TO COMPARE IT TO CIGARETTES.
CIGARETTE, IF YOU SMOKE A SECOND CIGARETTE AS A TEENAGER, YOUR CHANCES OF FIVE OUT OF
SIX OF BEING ADDICTED, ITS THE WORLDS MOST ADDICTING DRUG KNOWN IS CIGARETTES.
THATS WHY ITS SO HARMFUL. IS BECAUSE ITS SO ADDICTING.
MORE THAN A THOUSAND PEOPLE A DAY DIE FROM CIGARETTES BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE SO ADDICTED,
THEY CHAIN SMOKE AND THEY GET UP TO 100, 200, 300, 400,000 CIGARETTES AND THEY KILL THEMSELVES.
THAT NEVER HAPPENS WITH MARIJUANA. THERES NEVER GOING TO SINGLE DEATH FROM IT.
AND THE DEA ITSELF SAYS THAT THE ADDICTION PROBABILITY IS LESS THAN COFFEE.
NOW, GRAND COFFEE HAS SOME ADDICTION. I LOVE COFFEE.
AND IF YOU QUIT COFFEE AND YOURE ACCUSTOMED TO IT, YOULL GET A PRETTY SEVERE HEADACHE.
I HAVE MEDICAL MARIJUANA PATIENTS WHO GO TO THE MAINLANDND THEY CANNOT TAKE THEIR MEDICINE.
I SAY, HO YOU DID YOU DO? I MISSED MY MEDICINE.
DID YOU GET SICK OR HAVE ANY WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS, THEY LAUGH AT YOU.
ASK EMERGENCY DOCTOR, HAVE YOU EVER SEEN ANYBODY COME FROM WITHDRAWAL FROM MARIJUANA?
THEY WOULD LAUGH AT YOU. WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
IVE SEEN PEOPLE COME THE OTHER DIRECTION WHO ARE ON MAINLAND, ON OPIOIDS, OXYCONTIN, THESE
PEOPLE ARE DESPERATE. THEY GET HERE AND THEIR PRESCRIPTIONS ARE
NOT REFILLABLE. THEYRE GOING INTO MISERABLE WITHDRAWAL WHICH
IS VERY DANGEROUS AND COULD POSSIBLY KILL THEM IF THEY HAVE HEART PROBLEMS OR OTHER
MEDICAL PROBLEMS. >> THERES NO COMPARISON.
>> I DONT REALLY AGREE. I THINK THAT MARIJUANA, WEVE SEEN IT.
THAT MARIJUANA IN OUR CLINICS, THAT YOUTH WHO COME IN FOR PROBLEMS WITH MARIJUANA DISPLAY
THE SAME KINDS OF PROBLEMS THAT PEOPLE ON OTHER DRUGS HAVE.
THAT ARE JUST AS ADDICTING. SO I DONT THINK YOU CAN JUST SAY THAT MARIJUANA
IS A HARMLESS DRUG. THATS ONE OF THE MISCONCEPTIONS THATS OUT
THERE, THAT THATS FORMING. >> WE HAVE NOT SAID  ITS HARMLESS OR WE WANT
YOUTH TO DO IT. WERE JUST SAYING THERE IS A DOUBLE STANDARD.
THINGS THAT ARE CLEARLY MUCH MORE ADDICTING AND MUCH MORE DANGEROUS ARE TREATED AS SAFE,
FINE, YOU CAN GO AHEAD AND USE THEM. WHEREAS HERE, IS ISING MUCH SAFER AND THERES
A DOUBLE STANDARD. THIS IS BEING TREATED AS MORE DANGEROUS THAN
HEROIN. THATS HYPOCRISY.
>>DAN: I WANT TO ASK ABOUT A BIGGER HYPOCRISY, I THINK MANY OF US PROUDLY, SOME OF US NOT
SO PROUDLY, PRESIDENCY ONE OF THE LAST 3 MEN HELD THE PRESIDENTCY ALL OF WHO MANY HAVE
BEEN USERS OF MARIJUANA. BUSH, OBAMA AND CLINTON.
OF COURSE HE ONLY EXPERIMENTED WITH IT AS YOU KNOW.
WE HAD 3 PRESIDENTS. YOU KNOW, YOURE A LAWYER.
WHY IF THESE GUYS, THE PRESIDENTS CAN USE MARIJUANA, USE IT, HOW CAN WE SUDDENLY CRIMINALIZE
IT OR BUYS SOME SELLING IT AND HARLEM OR SOMETHING, OR A WHITE KID OR BROUGHT SOME, HOW CAN WE
DO THAT? I MEAN, YOU KNOW, PRESIDENT WAS DOWN THERE
IN PUNAHOU JUST SLIPPING IT UP. BUT ALONG WITH A LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE IN HIS
GENERATION. >> YOU HAVE TO RECOGNIZE THAT HE ISNT DOING
IT AS THE PRESIDENT. SO OBVIOUSLY, EXCEPT FOR BILL CLINTON, I GUESS
THEY ALL QUIT LONG AGO. MAYBE BILL CLINTON DID TOO.
I DONT KNOW. >>DAN: HE SAID HE DID.
>> HE LIKES TO HAVE FUN. THAT ISNT THERE A KIND OF LEGAL  YOU KNOW,
YOU KNOW WHEN YOU GOT TO  YOU HAVE BEEN ON ONE OF THOSE PLACES WHERE SOMEONE SAYS PUTS
WALK, EVERYONE HAS TO STAY ON THE SIDEWALK AND YET YOU KNOW EVERYBODY IS WALKING UP THIS
WHICH. THEYRE GOING ACROSS THE LAWN BECAUSE ITS THE
CLOSEST THING AND IT MAKES ALL THE SENSE IN THE WORLD.
AN THESE KIDS ARE USING IT. I MEAN, THEYRE USING MARIJUANA.
THEY DONT SAO EMTO BE MANY OF THEM DONT SAO EMTO BE HORRIFIED.
THEY BECOME PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. >> DAN, COULD I JUMP IN?
WE HAVENT TALKED ABOUT THE CRIMINAL PENALTIES. HUGE DEAL.
ONE OF THE REASONS WE THINK THE LAW SHOULD BE REFORMED.
THOSE LAWS ARE NOT FALLING EVENLY ON ALL SECTORS OF THE POPULATION.
NOW, BARACK OBAMA GROWING UP AS A YOUNG AFRICAN AMERICAN HE WAS LUCKY.
WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF HE HAD BEEN BUSTED? WOULD HE HAVE GONE ON TO THE CAREER THAT HE
HAD? HE WOULD HAVE HAD A CRIMINAL RECORD THAT STAYED
WITH HIM FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE THAT MIGHT HAVE IMPEDED HIM FROM GETTING FEDERAL COLLEGE
LOANS, HOUSE,, EMPLOYMENT, JOB RECOMMENDATIONS. STICKS WITH YOU FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
AND WE JUST HAD AN ECONOMIC STUDY TON IN HAWAII AND U.H. ECONOMIST AND HE WAS REALLY SHOCKED
TO SEE THESE NUMBERS JUMP OUT AT HIM ABOUT THE DISCREPANCIES IN THE PEOPLE WHO ARE BEING
BUSTED FOR MARIJUANA. IF YOURE NATIVE HAWAIIAN, 70% HIGHER CHANCE
OF BEING ARRESTED. ALL THE RESEARCH AND I THINK YOU GUYS WOULD
AGREE, SHOWS THAT PRETTY MUCH EVERY ETHNIC GROUP USES IT AT THE SAME AMOUNTS THROUGHOUT
THE COUNTRY AND YET, WHO ARE THE ONES WHO ARE GETTING ARRESTED?
>> I THINK PAM IS TALKING ABOUT SOCIAL DISPARITY HERE.
IF YOURE GOING TO TALK ABOUT SINGLING OUT HAWAIIANS, I THINK YOU COULD SAY THAT FOR
JUST ABOUT ANY ISSUE THAT COMES UP WHETHER ITS WELFARE OR THE NUMBER OF HAWAIIANS IN
PRISON. I WOULD AGREE WITH YOU.
I THINK THE HAWAIIAN POPULATION IS MARGINALIZED AND I DONT THINK MARIJUANA IS THE ONLY ISSUE
HERE. THE EXPLANATION COULD BE THAT HAWAIIANS EX
BECAUSE OF THEIR SOCIOECONOMIC STATUS, THEY ARENT ABLE TO ACCESS SERVICES AS WELL AS SAY
THAT WHITE KID WHO LIVES IN HAWAII KAI WHO CAN PAY FOR COUNSELING OR TREATMENT, THIS
HAWAIIAN KID CANNOT DO THAT. SO I THINK THATS PART OF THE REASON.
THEY DONT HAVE ACCESS TO SERVICES. I THINK WERE IN AGREEMENT ON THAT.
>> >>DAN: BILL FROM HILO.
IVE BEEN USING CANNABIS MOST OF MY LIFE. RAISED TWO HARVARD GRADS.
ANTICANNABIS GUYS ARE WRONG. ITS NOT A GATEWAY DRUG.
ENCOURAGES COPS TO TAKE MARIJUANA WITHOUT DUE PROCESS.
WE DONT NEED GOVERNMENT INTERFERENCE. IT SHOULD BE UP TO THE ADULT INDIVIDUAL.
BIG ISLAND, MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS, YOURE ONE OF THEM, WHO ISSUE LICENSES TO INDIVIDUALS,
RIGHT? TO USE POT FOR MEDICAL PURPOSES.
IS THE STATE AWARE OF THIS AND HOW WOULD THE STATE LEGALIZATION BE DIFFERENT?
THEY WERE AWARE OF IT. >> OF COURSE.
>> IT HAS TO GO THROUGH THE NARCOTICS ENFORCEMENT DIVISION HERE IN HAWAII.
ITS RUN BY THE STATE. >>DAN: HOW DO THEY GET IT?
IF ITS ILLEGAL, THEN HOW DO YOU GET IT? CAN YOU PRESCRIBE IT?
>> NO. NOBODY CAN PRESCRIBE IT AND THATS PART OF
THE PROBLEMS. WE HAVE PATIENTS COME TO US SAY, ELDERLY PEOPLE
WITH CANCER, AND THEY SAY, OKAY, I HAVE MY CERTIFICATION.
WHERE CAN I GET MY MEDICINE? NOW?
THIS IS ONE MORE DOUBLE STANDARD. WE GO, WELL, THEY MAKE NO PROVISIONS FOR THAT.
YOU HAVE TO FIND IT ON YOUR OWN. AND THEY GO, WE DONT KNOW ANYBODY.
ARENT THERE ANY STORES? NO.
THERE ARENT ANY STORES. AND EVEN AT BEST, IF YOU REQUEST FIND SEEDS,
WHICH ARE STILL ILLEGAL, YOU IS TO GROW IT FOR 3 OR 4 MONTHS INSTEAD OF BEING ABLE TO
GO AND GET YOUR NICE SAFE MEDICINE AT A STORE. SO THIS IS ONE OF MANY ISSUES OF PATIENT RIGHTS
WHERE THEY ARE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST. I CAN WRITE YOU FOR OXYCONTIN AN JUST WALK
OVER TO THE DRUG STORE AND GET THIS TOTALLY FATAL DRUG, BUT THE SAFE ONE IS NOT THERE.
ITS A DOUBLE STANDARD ALL THE WAY AND IT HAS BEEN FOR 76 YEARS.
>> WE WOULD AGREE WITH DR. WEBB. FOR THAT 5% OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE CANCER,
HIV, AIDS SYNDROME, GLAUCOMA WHO ARE TRULY NEEDING SOME KIND OF PAIN DID SHALL RELIEF
OR PAIN OR NAUSEA, FOR THE 95% WHO HAVE MORE SOFT TISSUE KINDS OF PAIN OR ISSUES, THOSE
WHO ARE OBVIOUSLY ARE UNDER 30 YEARS OF AGE, MANY OF THEM ARE, AND EVEN THOSE WHO ARE UNDER
18 WHICH I AM AMAZED THAT THERES KIDS WHO PARENTS ARE SIGNING OFF ON THEIR MEDICAL MARIJUANA
CARDS. I DONT KNOW ALL THE DETAILS ABOUT THEM, ABOUT
YOU I WOULD SAY THAT THERES SOMETHING THAT IS NOT RIGHT THERE.
>> ACTUALLY, THERES OVER 100 MILLION PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY WITH CHRONIC PAIN.
PEOPLE NEED RELIEF AND THEY NEED SAFE RELIEF. HIPPOCRATIC OATH SAYS FIRST, DO NO HARM.
HERE WE HAVE AN EXCELLENT PAIN MEDICINE WHICH KILLS NOBODY AND WERE NOT GIVEN THE OPTION
TO USE IT AND PEOPLE NEED RELIEF. I MEAN, ITS VERY INHUMANE TO DENY THEM THIS
SAFE MEDICATION WHEN THIS THEY ARE STUCK WITH THE ONES THEY HATE.
PEOPLE WHO GO ON THE OPIOIDS TELL THEY THEYRE DEPRESSED, SUICIDAL, CONSTIPATED, ADDICTED,
GO INTO WITHDRAWAL. >>DAN: YOURE MAKING DEPRESS THE DESCRIBING
THIS. >> AND HERE IS SOMETHING SAFE THAT THEY CAN
BE USING AND YET, WE DENY THEM. >> TO THINK AS THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HOLDS
IT AS A SCHEDULE 1 DRUG. SO THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE ENFORCING
THAT IN THE STATES THAT ARE ALLOWING MEDICAL MARIJUANA, FOR POLITICAL REASONS, THEY ARE
CHOOSING NOT TO, BUT IN OUR SYSTEM, FEDERAL LAW PREEMPTS STATE LAW THATS CONTRARY.
THEY SHOULD BE ENFORCING AND THEY JUST ARENT. >>DAN: HASNT THE PRESIDENT AND THE ATTORNEY
GENERAL SAID WE ARE NOT GOING TO PROSECUTE, ISNT THAT RIGHT?
>> I DONT THINK THEY SAID, BUT THEY JUST RUN. I DONT THINK SHE SAID.
>> THEY HAVE MADE PRONOUNCEMENTS IN THE PAST BUT THEN THEY HAVENT ALWAYS FOLLOWED THROUGH.
I WANTED TO ADDRESS THE ISSUE OF FEDERAL PREEMPTION. THERES A LOT OF MISUNDERSTANDING ABOUT.
STATES HAVE THE RIGHT TO REGULATE, USE THEIR LAW ENFORCEMENT RESOURCES IN ANY WAY THEY
WISH. THEY CAN SET UP ANY KINDS OF LAWS THAT THEY
WISH ABOUT THE SUBSTANCES. THEY ARE UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO ENFORCE FEDERAL
LAW. ONE OF THE REASONS THAT THE FEDS DONT GO AFTER
PATIENTS IS THEY SIMPLY DONT HAVE THE RESOURCE. I MEAN, WERE TALKING ABOUT 18 STATES AND WHERE
DO YOU THINK THE POLITICAL WILL WOULD BE IN ARRESTING SICK PEOPLE?
I THINK YOU MISUNDERSTOOD ME. I WAS SAYING THAT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SHOULD
BE ENFORCING THE SCHEDULING OF IT AS A SCHEDULE 1 DRUG.
AND NOT ALLOW THE STATES TO HAVE MEDICAL MARIJUANA. THATS JUST AS A LAW PROFESSOR LOOKING AT THE
STATUTE. THATS WHAT THEY SHOULD BE DOING.
AND FOR WHATEVER REASON, ITS NOT HAPPENING. >> WHAT ABOUT THE 10TH AMENDMENT AND THE STATES
RIGHTS? >> 10TH AMENDMENTS, BARELY BREATHING.
YOU SEE ALL OF THOSE HHS MANDATE CASES AND STUFF, ITS VERY INTERESTING.
>> DOES MARIJUANA KILL BRAIN CELLS OR DOES IT INHIBIT DEVELOPMENT?
ASHLEY IN MOILIILI WANTS TO KNOW. >> I THINK YOU HAVE TO BE DEAD BEFORE THEY
CAN DO THE AUTOPSY. >> THERES NO EVIDENCE OF IT.
CARL SAGAN SMOKED IT HIS ENTIRE LIFE. WHY HE WAS SUCH A GREAT TEACHER, TOTALLY BRILLIANT.
THERES NO EVIDENT OF THAT. >> THERES SOME STUDIES.
IM SURE YOU FOLKS HAVE OTHER STUDIES. BUT IT SHOWS THAT THERE IS LOSS OF IQ POINTS
FOR LONG TERM PERSISTENT USE OF MARIJUANA. EVEN WHEN YOU STOP USING IT, AFTER YOURE 18,
YOU DONT REGAIN THAT. >> I NEVER HEARD OF THOSE.
>> I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT CARE OYOURE TALK ABOUT. >> I REQUEST SHOW YOU.
LONG TERM STUDY. NEW ZEALAND.
>> RELATIVELY SMALL CITY IN NEW ZEALAND. ITS BEEN, I DONT WANT TO SAY DEBUNKED, BUT
GREAT DEBATE ABOUT IT. ALL SORTS OF PUB LISTLY WHEN IT FIRST CAME
OUT. THIS GROUP OF PEOPLE WHO WERE IN THE STUDY,
THEY WERE ALL MAORI KIDS. SO INDIGENOUS NEW ZEALANDERS AND ALL FROM
LOW SOCIOECONOMIC CLASS. THE PEOPLE WHO DID THE STUDY, IT WAS A PERSPECTIVE
STUDY WHICH MEANS THEY STUDIED THEM FOR YEARS, THIS SAME GROUP OF KIDS.
AND THEY DIDNT CONTROL FOR THE OTHER VARIABLES. THESE KIDS DIDNT HAVE GOOD NUTRITION, ARGUABLY.
HOUSING SITUATION WAS TENUOUS. THEY WERE LIVING IN POOR CONDITIONS.
SO ITS NOT AS CLEAR CUT AS IT MIGHT APPEAR TO BE.
>> TWO QUESTIONS FOR THE PANEL. BY DAVID OF HONOLULU HON.
IF DRUGS WERE LEGALIZED, HOW DO WE PREVENT UNDERAGE PEOPLE OF USING DRUGS?
ARE YOU IN FAVOR OF LEGALIZING ALL DRUGS IN. >> THATS NOT WHAT WERE TALKING ABOUT TONIGHT.
I THINK WE NEED TO START. >> OP TOPIC.
>> WE NEED TO START WITH THE DRUGS THAT IS THE MOST READILY AVAILABLE, MOST WIDELY USED.
>>DAN: IM SAYING THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS IN OBVIOUSLY FEARFUL.
THAT PRECISELY THATS WHAT WILL HAPPEN. >> SLIP RIP SLOPE.
>> SHALL SLIPPERY SLOPE. >> DECRIMINALIZATION WAS THE 15% TAX THATS
STATE WOULD REAP OFF OF THE SALE OF LEGAL MARIJUANA.
SO THAT CALLER IS ON TO SOMETHING THE LEGISLATURE COULD REALLY RACK IN THE TAXES IF EVERYTHING
WAS DECRIMINALIZED AND LEGALIZED AND THEN TAXED.
>> THAT IS A REASON IN ALL HONESTY THAT A LOT OF STATES ARE GOING IN WAY.
BUT ITS NOT IN ISOLATION. THEY SEE THESE OTHER WAYS OF LOOKING AT IT
WHICH IS TAKE THE LAW ENFORCEMENT RESOURCES THAT ARE BEING USED FOR ARRESTING MARIJUANA
USERS, ESTIMATED TO BE $9 MILLION IN HAWAII EVERY YEAR, FROM THIS U.H. ECONOMIST AND DIVERSE
THOSE TO THINGS THAT ARE VOTERS OF HAWAII THINK ARE MORE IMPORTANT USES OF THAT MONEY.
THERE WAS A POLL THAT WAS DONE RECENTLY BY REPUTABLE POLLING FIRM THEY FOUND THAT 58%
OF VOTERS IN HAWAII APPROVE OF DECRIMINALIZATION. >> QMARK HAD 603 MEMBERS OF THE STUDY.
VERY SMALL STUDY. ARE YOU REFERRING TO THE DAVID C NIXON PUBLIC.
>> YES. >> PUBLIC POLLING FIRM.
VERY INTERESTING BECAUSE THE WAY THAT THEY WERE FIGURING OUT THIS $9 MILLION WAS TO
TAKE THE NUMBER OF MARIJUANA ARRESTS. >> 1400.
>> MULTIPLY IT BY THE, OR THE PERCENTAGE, AND MULTIPLY THAT AGAINST THE TOTAL COST OF
THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM RATHER THAN LOOKING AT THE INCREMENTAL COSTS PER ARREST.
AND AT ONE OF THE LEGISLATIVE HEARINGS, ALL THE COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENTS WERE AGAINST
THE BILLS. BUT HE SAID THAT THE MOST OF THE DIVISIONS
IN THE POLICE DEPARTMENT DONT DO ANY ARRESTS AT ALL.
AND THEIR COSTS ARE IN THAT BIG NUMBER THATS PERCENTAGE IS APPLIED TO.
THATS JUST NOT THE PROBABLE PROPER WAY TO MEASURE WHAT THE EFFECT ON THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE
BUDGET IS GOING TO BE. I HAVE THE STATS IN FRONT OF ME.
14,000? >> 1400.
PER YEAR. >> WHAT WE HAVE HERE, FROM OUR ATTORNEY GENERAL
AND PROSECUTORS OFFICE, 594 ARRESTS IN 2012 FOR SMALL POSSESSION OF SMALL AMOUNTS OF MARIJUANA
ONLY 7 OF THEM WERE CONFINED GREATER THAN 10 DAYS.
MOST OF THEM WERE EITHER DISMISSED. HALF OF THEM WERE DISMISSED.
>>DAN: ONE OF OUR CALLERS SAID, THEY SAID HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE BEEN ARRESTED BY HONOLULU
POLICE ON OAHU ONLY. FOR MARIJUANA.
I CANT THINK OF ANYBODY. >> THATS WHAT ITS SAYING HERE.
LESS THAN 1% OF ALL THE ARRESTS, DAN. I DONT KNOW WHERE YOU GET THAT 1400.
>> IF YOU LOOK AT PROFESSOR NIXONS STUDY,. >> I DID.
>> HIS CITATIONS ARE FROM THE FBI BUREAU OF CRIME STATISTICS AND FROM STATE AT THAT TIME
STAT HE IS PARTICULARS. HE DIDNT MAKE THESE UP.
>> HE MUST HAVE DISCOUNTED BECAUSE I HAVE 594.
>> HIS CAME FROM 2010. THE POLICE HAVE MORE RECENT DATA.
I WOULD JUST SAY THAT NONE OF US IS AN ECONOMIST AND I THINK THAT STUFF IS VERY DIFFICULT TO
UNDERSTAND. AND HAVE AN ECONOMIST ON NEXT TIME AND WE
CAN TALK ABOUT THE WAY DID HE IT. >>DAN: FROM ELIZABETH IN KAIMUKI.
CAN YOU DISCUSS HOW TO ACCESS MEDICAL MARIJUANA? YOU MENTIONED THEY HAVE TO GET THE APPROVAL.
CANCER PATIENTS MUST FIND A DRUG DEALER OR GROW THEIR OWN.
SHES ABOUT TO START CHEMOTHERAPY AND WANT TO KNOW HOW TO GET IT.
>> ACTUALLY, WHEN THAT IS A PROBLEM. THATS WHAT I WAS TRYING TO POINT OUT.
THE STATE OF HAWAII MAKES NO PROVISIONS. IN FACT, WHEN I CERTIFY SOMEONE, THEY MAKE
ME INITIAL THAT I WILL IN NO WAY FACILITATE THE ACQUISITION WAS MARIJUANA.
CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT? IF I SAID
>> I HAVE IN OTHER TREATMENT FOR YOU BUT IM SORRY I CANT TALK ABOUT HOW TO GET IT.
AND YOURE NOT EVEN ALLOWED TO TALK ABOUT IT. THATS ONE OF THE MANY THINGS IN PATIENT RIGHTS
THAT NEEDS TO BE FIXED. ITS VERY UNFAIR.
THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE IN NEED. >> WE NEED TO ROLL BACK WHEN THE LEGISLATURE
ENACTED THIS LAW WHICH WAS IN THE YEAR 2000. THIS GOES BACK TO SOMETHING SOMEBODY ASKED
A FEW MINUTES AGO. HOW DID THIS ALL HAPPEN.
THE LEGISLATURE GOVERNOR CAYETANO INTRODUCED THE BILL AND THE LEGISLATURE PASSED IT IN
2000. AND WE WERE THE FIRST STATE TO PASS MEDICAL
MARIJUANA LAW THROUGH THE LEGISLATURE UP UNTIL THEN, IT HAD ALL BEEN BOY VOTER INITIATIVE,
WHOLE DIFFERENT PROCESS. >> THEY DIDNT MAKE ANY PROVISION FOR A DISPENSARY
SYSTEM OR DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM BECAUSE IN THOSE DAYS, THERE WAS NO MODELS OUT THERE.
BUT NOW, ALL OF THE STATES THAT HAVE COME ON BOARD AFTER US AND MANY OF THEM WERE LEGISLATIVE
AND SOME OF THEM WERE BY INITIATIVE HAVE SOME KIND OF DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM.
RHODE ISLAND JUST OPENED THIS WEEK. WASHINGTON DID.
C HAS ONE. MASSACHUSETTS, HAS ONE.
IT HAS TO BE PART OF IT. OTHERWISE, THE PATIENTS ARE BEING FORCED TO
GO TO THE BLACK MARKET. IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE.
TWO COMMENTS. ONE IS I THINK DR. WEBB WILL HAVE A COMMENT
TOO ABOUT IT. THAT THERES OSHIRO WAYS TO GET THE BENEFICIAL
EFFECTS OF MARIJUANA. CANNABOID PART, MORE HEALING PART.
MARINOL PILL FORM WHICH CAN BE DESCRIBED. AND SATAVIX, ORAL SPRAY.
YOU DONT GO GET HIGH BUT THE GET THE BENEFITS FROM THAT CANABINOID.
WHY DO YOU NEED TO SMOKE MARIJUANA TO GET THE BENEFITS JUST LIKE YOU DONT HAVE TO SMOKE
OPIUM TO GET THE EFFECTS OF MORPHINE. WE GET DID IN A PILL FORM AND A DOCTOR CAN
FREE PRESCRIBE IT. THATS WHERE WE COULD HAVE SOME COMMON GROUND.
WE SHOULD BE PUSHING THE FDA FOR MORE RESEARCH AND TESTING ON PRODUCTINGS LIKE SATAVIX, ORAL
SPRAY. >> WHICH IS NOT APPROVED IN THIS COUNTRY YET.
ONLY IN CAN D.A. . >> THATS WHAT I SAWED.
WE SHOULD BE PUSHING FDA TO HURRY IT UP. >> THE REASON THEY CANNOT IS BECAUSE OF THE
PEOPLE WHO ARE OPPOSING RESCHEDULING. ITS STUCK IN SCHEDULE 1.
AS A SCHEDULE 1 DRUG WHERE THE GOVERNMENT VERY DISHORN HE IS TI HAS IT STRUCK PRETENDING
ITS A DANGEROUS DRUG. YOURE NOT ALLOWED TO DO BENEFICIAL RESEARCH.
ITS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN. I WOULD LOVE TO TALK ABOUT MARINOL.
ITS A PILL. THIS IS WHAT I MENTIONED EARLIER.
ITS 100% THC SYNTHETIC, WHICH IS THE MOST PSYCHO ACTIVE DRUG AND IT DOES GET YOU HIGH
IF YOU TAKE IT. ALMOST NOBODY LIKES THE PILL.
IT COSTS $25 A PILL. ITS OVER $2,000 FOR A MONTHS SUPPLY AND IT
DOESNT WORK WELL. THE PERFECT WAY TO TAKE CANNABIS IS EITHER
IN A TINCTURE, YOU CAN TITRATE YOUR DOSE AND NOT TAKE TOO MUCH.
YOU WANT TO STAY FUNCTIONAL AND GET PAIN RELIEF. BETTER YET, YOU GET A VAPORIZER.
ITS SMOKELESS, RAPID RELIABLE TITRATABLE. THERES A THING CALLED PATIENT CONTROLLED ANALGESIA,
BEST MEANS OF PAIN CONTROL EVER DEVICED. THEY USE IT IN HOSPITALS.
YOU HAVE A LITTLE BUTTON TO PUSH YOUR PAIN MEDICINE.
YOU DONT OVERSHOOT OR UNDERSHOOT. YOU GET BETTER PAIN CONTROL AND YOU USE LESS
MEDICINE. WHEN YOURE USING A VAPORIZER, YOURE DOING
EXACTLY THE SAME THING. TITRATE YOUR OWN MEDICINE.
TAKE ONE LITTLE PUFF AND SEE IF ITS GOOD. IF IT RELIEVES YOUR PAIN.
YOU STOP. YOU CAN RELIEVE PAIN AT LEVELS THAT ARE LOWER
THAN WHERE YOU GET A BUZZ. WHEREAS IF YOURE FORCED TO TAKE MARINOL, YOURE
GOING TO GET FAIRLY BUZZED BECAUSE YOU CANT CONTROL THE DOZE.
SATAVEX IS NOTHING MORE THAN CONCENTRATED HASH OIL WHICH HAS GOT A PEPPERMINT FLAVOR
AND SPRAY IT UNDER THE TONGUE. YOU HAVE TO SWALLOW IT AND TAKES IT AN HOUR
IT GOAT IN YOUR SYSTEM. LEGAL IN CANADA, GREAT BRITAIN, SEVERAL OTHER
COUNTRY. IT COSTS $700 A SPRAY IN CANADA.
IF YOU GO TO THE COMPASSION CLUB, ITS SAME THING IS TWO CENTS A SPRAY.
PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY WANTS TO KEEP THESE THINGS EXPENSIVE.
THEYRE ONE OF THE MAIN FORCES THAT PREVENT THIS FROM BECOME BEING LEGALIZED OR DECRIMINALIZED.
>> SO I THINK WE WOULD AGREE WITH YOU THAT PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES ARE SHOULD BE HELD
TO ACCOUNTABLE ALSO. IM STILL LOST ABOUT HOW YOU CAN DOSE MARIJUANA
JOINT. HOW DO YOU GO DO THAT?
>> I JUST TOLD YOU HOW. YOU TAKE A LITTLE BIT AND THIS IS PATIENT
CONTROLLED ANALGESIA. THIS IS WHAT WORK.
HOW DO YOU DESCRIBE THAT? TAKE 2 HITS.
YOU SAY TAKE ONE AND YOU STOP AND YOU WAIT. AND YOU SEE IF ITS WITH ENOUGH.
IF ITS ENOUGH, YOU STOP. IF ITS NOT, THEN YOU DECIDE.
YOURE THE ONE WHOS FEELING THE PAIN. YOURE THE ONLY ONE THAT KNOWS.
>> ITS NOT MEASURABLE. >> WAIT.
INTERESTINGLY IN THE SATAVEX BROCHURE, INFORMATION THAT COMES WITH THE SPRAY, IT SAYS, THE PATIENT
SHOULD TAKE A DOSAGE SUFFICIENT TO ALLEVIATE SYMPTOMS.
AND IT WILL VARY FROM PERSON TO PERSON. SO THEY ACKNOWLEDGE THE FACT THAT YOU KNOW,
IT ISNT  THATS WHY A LOT OF PHYSICIANS DONT LIKE IT BECAUSE IT ISNT A NICE LITTLE NEAT
PILL AND YOU GET 50 MILLIGRAMS OR WHATEVER. BUT ITS GOT A HISTORY OF BENEFICIAL RESULTS.
>> PHYSICIANS DONT KNOW THE CORRECT DOSE. WERE VERY ARROGANT WHEN WE PRETEND WE KNOW
YOU NEED 50 OR 1500 MILLIGRAMS OF THIS. ITSEN EXPERIMENT WHEN YOU TAKE IT.
WHEREAS YOU DO KNOW AND IF YOU GET TO JUST TITRATE THE DOSE UP SLOWLY, YOU GET THE RIGHT
DOSE WITH A MINIMUM OF SIDE EFFECTS. EVERY MEDICATION HAS SIDE EFFECTS AND YOU
WANT TO MINIMIZE THEM. THIS IS THE PERFECT DELIVERY SYSTEM.
>> I GUESS YOU KNOW WHATS IN THE DRUG. WHEREAS IN MARIJUANA PLANT, YOU DONT KNOW
WHAT YOURE GETTING IN THAT PRODUCT. I MEAN, PESTICIDES,.
>> THATS ON THE BLACK MARKET ALAN. THATS THE CASE FOR
>> YOURE MAKING OUR CASE. THANKS YOU.
>> GREAT. BUT YOURE ALSO SAYING THATS WHAT YOURE GIVING
PEOPLE. >> IF YOURE MAKING EACH OTHERS CASE, YOURE
AGREED. DID YOU SEE THAT?
DID YOU SEE THAT? PLEASE DISCUSS THE SIDE EFFECTS TO SECONDHAND
SMOKE, TO OTHERS. THANKS.
IVE BEEN TO ENOUGH CONCERTS, WHERE I WAS NOT, ALAN, BUT BOY, YOU CERTAINLY WE WERE ALL SMOKING
WITH THE AMOUNT OF TIME IS WHAT DETERMINES HOW DANGEROUS THAT IS.
IT WOULD BE HARD TO ADDRESS. BUT YEAH.
>> I HAVE.SEEN ANY RESEARCH ON THAT AT ALL. >> YOU WONT FIND ANY SECONDHAND PROBLEMS FROM
MARIJUANA BECAUSE PEOPLE ONLY TAKE ONE OR TWO PUFFS. ALL OF YOUR PROBLEMS ARE PEOPLE
WHO CHAIN SMOKE SIGNIFICANT VETTES AND SMOKE 20, 30, 40, 50 A DAY.
>> WHY ARE WE HAVING THIS DEBATE? OUR STATE IS SO CONSERVATIVE, WERE NOT GOING
TO DO ANYTHING. SCOTT SAIKI SAYS WE ARE GOING TO DO SOMETHING,
DECRIMINALIZE THE HOUSE MAJORITY LEADER, AND ITS JUST THE TIME IS NOT RIGHT RIGHT NOW.
DO YOU THINK WE WILL? OR ARE WE A CONSERVATIVE ENOUGH STATE WERE
NOT GOING TO. >> MY INTEREST IS IN WHO GETS ELECTED NEXT
TIME AROUND. I THINK THAT WILL ANSWER THE QUESTION.
BUT ARE RESPECT TO ONLY TAKING 2 PUFFS, AND REGULATING YOUR SUFFICIENT, WHY THEN DOES
SOMEBODY NEED 46 TO 50 MARIJUANA CIGARETTES TO STAY UNDER THE LEGAL DECRIM LIMIT OF 20
GRAMS? >> THERES A VERY GOOD EXPLANATION FOR THAT.
THAT IS THAT I THINK EVERYBODY HERE AGREES THAT SMOKING IS THE LEAST HEALTHY WAY TO INGEST
THIS. IT HAS ITS BENEFITS BECAUSE IT COMES ON RIGHT
AWAY AND IF YOURE SUFFERING FROM NAUSEA, THEN IT WORKS WELL.
ALTHOUGH VAPORIZING GIVES YOU THE SAME RESULTS. A LOT OF PATIENTS ARE CHOOSING TO USE HE HAD
CAL FORMS OR TINCTURS OR CONCENTRATED FORMS. THEY NEED A LOT MORE OF THE RAW MATERIAL.
THEY HAVE BEEN TELLING US THAT WHAT PERMITTED NOW, WHICH IS 3 OUNCES IS NOT ENOUGH.
IF YOU COOK IT DOWN, YOU NEED A LOT MORE. >> TAKING IT WITH MARIJUANA CIGARETTE IS BETTER
BECAUSE YOU TAKE THE COUPLE TOKES, ITS MORE FOR A PARTY.
CAN PASS IT AROUND , THERES A COMMUNAL ASPECT TO IT.
IM FOR THAT. >> THERE IS A CEREMONIAL EFFECT.
>> WE HAVE TO KEEP IN MIND, DAVID FROM KONA WANTS TO KNOW, CAN YOU PLEASE DISCUSS THE
EFFECTS OF OPERATION GREEN HARVEST ON ICE USE ON THE BIG ISLAND?
IVE HAD A FRIEND OF MINE WHO IN THAT STILL IN THE ACADEMIA AND STILL OCCASIONAL USER
OF MARIJUANA FROM HIS YOUTH AND HE ARGUES THAT GREEN HARVEST WAS VERY, VERY BAD, HAD
A VERY BAD EFFECT BECAUSE IT DESTROYED THE MARIJUANA BUSINESS AND THEN YOU GO IN WITH
MIXING MORE DANGEROUS THINGS. ICE AND METH AND WE WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER
OFF JUST USING MARIJUANA. WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THAT.
>> I THINK THERES STILL A LOT OF MARIJUANA AROUND.
>> HES TALKING ABOUT RISE OF ICE. THERE WAS A 
>> I DONT THINK THERES A CORRELATION. >> THERES A VERY OBSCURE PAPER BY THE INSTITUTE
OF JUSTICE AND ITS CALLED JUSTICE BRIEF. IT WAS PUBLISHED IN 1992 OR SOMETHING.
I HAPPEN TO HAVE A COPY. IT SAYS IT TALKS ABOUT THE LESS AVAILABILITY
OF MARIJUANA BECAUSE OF ALL THE GREEN HARVEST AND OTHER RAIDS.
AT THE SAME TIME, ICE USE STARTED HAPPENING. THAT WAS WHEN IT WAS STILL COMING IN FROM
THE PHILIPPINES IN THE EARLY EIGHTIES. SOS THAT WAS THEY SAID, THERE WAS A CORRELATION,
CERTAINLY A TIME WHEN THIS WAS ALL HAPPENING. BUT MY THESIS IS WHEN I ICE FIRST CAME TO
THE ISLAND, AS YOU KNOW, PEOPLE HERE SMOKE IT.
WHEN THEY DONT DO IN MOST OTHER CASE PLACES. THERE WAS A SHORTAGE OF MARIJUANA.
LOCAL DEALER WOULD SAY, BUT I HAVE SOMETHING ELSE YOU CAN SMOKE.
AND I THINK IN THE EARLY DAYS, PEOPLE IN HAWAII WERE NAIVE ABOUT THE EFFECTS OF ICE.
AND HOW DIFFERENT IT WAS. >>
>>DAN: ALAN, SOMEBODY IS AFTER YOU. THEY WANT TO KNOW, FOR ALAN SHINN, MIKE IN
KAHALUU WANTS TO KNOW, YOU OR ANYONE SUFFERED FROM CHRONIC PAIN.
IF POT IS ONLY DRUG TO RELIEF THE PAIN, WOULD YOU WANT THEM TO SMOKE IT.
>> I THINK WE GO BACK TO THE SAME THING. THERES OTHER FORMS OF PAIN RELIEF THAT ARE
AVAILABLE. AND I THINK THAT SMOKING MARIJUANA IS NOT
THE ONLY WAY TO GO. >> THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT LOVES TO SAY THERES
NO MEDICALLY ACCEPTED USE OF MARIJUANA. NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL MUCH MEDICINE, NUMBER
WITHIN SUBSCRIBED MEDDLE CAL JOURNAL. LAST MONTH THEY RAN A CASE SCENARIO FOR PEOPLE
WHO SUBSCRIBE ON LINE AND THAT PHYSICIANS, ASSISTANT ITS, NURSE PRACTICERSES AND THEY
HAD A WOMAN WITH CANCER RUN OUT OF OPTIONS. MEDICAL MARIJUANA STATE.
THEY ASKED THE QUESTION, SHE WANTS TO USE MEDICAL MARIJUANA.
SHOULD WE RECOMMEND IT? THEY HAVE A DOCTOR POLLED PRO AND ANTI AND
THEY POLLED PEOPLE. 76% OF THE RESPONDENTS SAID YES.
WE SHOULD RECOMMEND MEDICAL MARIJUANA FOR THIS WOMAN.
SO THESE ARE MOSTLY PHYSICIANS. THESE ARE ALL HEALTH PRACTICERS AND 76% ARE
AGREEING THAT YES, WE SHOULD DO THIS. >> ITS THE 5% AGAIN, DR. WEBB.
I THINK I THINK IM CERTAINLY COMPASSIONATE FOR THOSE PEOPLE WHO REALLY ARE TERMINALLY
ILL AND HAVE NO OTHER RECOURSE OR ALTERNATIVES. WE WOULD SAY YES.
WHY NOT? THEY CAN USE MEDICAL MARIJUANA.
IM TALKING ABOUT THE OTHER 95% WHO IS QUESTIONABLE ABOUT THEIR USE OF MARIJUANA.
>> ALAN, OUR LEGISLATURE SET IT UP SO THE PHYSICIANS ARE GATE KEEPERS.
YOURE SAYING YOU DONT TRUST THE PHYSICIAN OF THE STATE AND THERES ABOUT 188 NOW PAR
TI PAYTONING IN THE PROGRAM, THAT YOU DONT TRUST THEIR JUDGMENT AS TO WHETHER, THEY HAVE
TO DO A RISK BENEFIT ANALYSIS LIKE THEY DO FOR ANY PLED CASE.
LOOKING AT THE PERSON, BEFORE THEM AND THEIR MEDICAL RECORDERS.
>> WELL, AGAIN, I DONT THINK ITS REALLY THAT ISSUE.
I THINK THAT DOCTORS ARE PROBABLY MORE PRONE TO WANT TO PRESCRIBE MEDICATION FOR PAIN.
I THINK WE SEE THAT ACROSS THE BOARD. SO WHY WOULD MEDICAL MARIJUANA DOCTORS BE
ANY DIFFERENT? >> THESE ARE NOT MEDICAL MARIJUANA DOCTORS.
>> THIS IS THE NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE. >>DAN: LET ME ASK YOU A QUESTION.
MEDICAL QUESTION. ARE THERE ANY EFFECTS ON UNBORN CHILDREN OF
MARIJUANA USE? MY GRANDSON DISPLAYS MENTAL CHALLENGES.
COULD THAT HAVE BEEN RELATED TO MARIJUANA USE.
>> NOT NONE. ONE STUDY IN JAMAICA WITH WOMEN AND DID NOT
FIND ANY EFFECTS T WASNT A HAVE VERY BIG STUDY. STILL UNKNOWN.
WE GENERALLY ADVISE PREGNANT WOMEN NOT TO USE SMOKE OR INHALE OR USE ANY DRUGS WHILE
THEYRE PREGNANT ESPECIALLY IN THE FIRST TRIMESTER, FIRST THIRD OF THE PREGNANCY.
>>DAN: SUSAN IN MOLOKAI, URGES US, SEEN THE INDEPENDENT SHOW ON MONDAY.
US HO I LIVE IN WAS ON PBS. AS I AM.
SO MUCH  EVERYTHING YOU ARE TONIGHT DISCUSSING. HOW MANY OF YOU SAW IT?
ANYBODY SEE IT. >> I KNOW ABOUT IT.
TAPED IT. >> SHOW OF HANDS.
NONE OF US. PLEASE WATCH IT.
WELL DO OUR BEST SUSAN. WERE RUNNING OUT OF TIE.
IF WE SAME PANEL COMES BACK. 2 YEARS FROM NOW.
WILL MARIJUANA BE DECRIMINALIZED? HAWAII OR WILL BE LEGALIZED?
WHAT DO YOU THINK. HAWAII FAMILY ADVOCATES IS AN ELECTION HEARING
ORGANIZATION AND WE HAVE THE ABILITY TO INTERVENE IN ELECTIONS.
THATS WHAT WERE DOING. IF WERE SUCCESSFUL, NO.
>> ALAN? >> WE HAVE A NEW ORGANIZATION CALLED HAWAII
SAM, SMART APPROACHES TO MARIJUANA AND WERE BUILDING THE COALITION TO REALLY OPPOSE LEGALIZATION.
BUT WE ARE OPEN TO DIALOGUE AROUND MARIJUANA POLICIES ANY WHO, INCLUDING DECRIMINALIZATION.
ALTHOUGH, I FEEL THAT WEVE ALREADY DECRIMINALIZED MARIJUANA AS MUCH AS WE CAN IN HAWAII.
>>DAN: CHARLIE? >> I THINK AS LONG AS ITS LEFT TO THE LEGISLATURE,
THEYLL BE VERY TIMID AND OF COURSE, THEYRE PAID BY CERTAIN ENTITIES.
AND HAVE SPECIAL INTERESTS. IF THEY LET THE PEOPLE VOTE, YES.
IT WOULD BE LEGALIZED. >> PAM?
>> I I THINK IT WILL BE DEFINITELY BE DECRIMINALIZED 2 YEARS.
WHETHER OR NOT THEYLL BE BOLD ENOUGH TO LEGALIZE IT WILL DEPEND A LOT OF WHAT HAPPENS IN WASHING
GONE AN COLORADO STATE. WE HAVE A NEW COALITION TOO.
FRESH APPROACH HAWAII.ORG. >>DAN: THATS IT.
THANKS YOU VERY MUCH FOR COMING. THANK YOU VERY MUCH ALAN, CHARLIE, THANKS
VERY MUCH. WE APPRECIATE IT.
NEXT WEEK ON INSIGHTS, EVERY GOVERNOR AND MAYOR IN RECENT MEMORY HAS DECLARED HELPING
HONOLULUS HOMELESS POPULATION AMONG THEIR TOP PRIORITIES.
HOMELESSNESS IS A COMPLEX ISSUE. WHICH WELL EXPLORE WITH POLICY MAKERS, HOMELESS
ADVOCATES, AND SERVICE PROVIDERS. THATS NEXT TIME ON INSIGHTS ON PBS HAWAII.
IM DAN BOYLAN. A HUI HO
コツ:単語をクリックしてすぐ意味を調べられます!

読み込み中…

PBS Hawaii - Insights: Marijuana

5146 タグ追加 保存
kleeff 2013 年 12 月 30 日 に公開
お勧め動画
  1. 1. クリック一つで単語を検索

    右側のスプリクトの単語をクリックするだけで即座に意味が検索できます。

  2. 2. リピート機能

    クリックするだけで同じフレーズを何回もリピート可能!

  3. 3. ショートカット

    キーボードショートカットを使うことによって勉強の効率を上げることが出来ます。

  4. 4. 字幕の表示/非表示

    日・英のボタンをクリックすることで自由に字幕のオンオフを切り替えられます。

  5. 5. 動画をブログ等でシェア

    コードを貼り付けてVoiceTubeの動画再生プレーヤーをブログ等でシェアすることが出来ます!

  6. 6. 全画面再生

    左側の矢印をクリックすることで全画面で再生できるようになります。

  1. クイズ付き動画

    リスニングクイズに挑戦!

  1. クリックしてメモを表示

  1. UrbanDictionary 俚語字典整合查詢。一般字典查詢不到你滿意的解譯,不妨使用「俚語字典」,或許會讓你有滿意的答案喔