B1 中級 31 タグ追加 保存
Can you imagine settling down to watch a movie
with a bag of nachos and some cheese sauce,

only for that particular snack decision to
prove to be the worst choice you ever made

of your soon-to-be-over life?
That happened in May this year when a Californian
man ate some cheese sauce that was infected

with the (botch-i-linum) botulinum toxin.
He later died, but not before suffering a
few weeks of pain and confusion.

The toxin, which is secreted by the bacterium
Clostridium botulinum, can appear in canned

foods, and once you are struck by botulism
the outlook isn't good.

This is just one of the deadly toxins that
can strike us down in the prime of our lives.

Today we are going to focus on the deadly
toxins that inhabit the Earth, in this episode

of the Infographics show, Top 10 Deadliest

Don't forget to subscribe and click the
bell button so that you can be part of our

Notification Squad.
Number 10.
Lead is certainly not the worst thing out

there, but lead poisoning is quite common.
Researchers believe it's how Beethoven died,
and the World health Organization said in

2015 that lead paint alone causes almost 500,000
deaths a year.

If exposed to lead paint, say on a toy, at
low levels children can suffer permanent brain

At high levels the lead can attack the central
nervous system leading to coma and death.

This year an infant died in Connecticut after
wearing, and reportedly chewing on, a handmade

bracelet bought at an artisan fair.
The beads on the bracelet contained high levels
of lead.

Number 9.
Death by dangerous dinner is a fact in Japan,

and people sometimes die after eating a pufferfish
known as the fugu.

The fish, which is only prepared by licensed
chefs, contains the neurotoxin tetrodotoxin.

If ingested by humans it can cause respiratory
failure, paralysis, and death.

While the toxic parts of the fish should be
removed, mishaps do happen.

The Tokyo Bureau of Social Welfare and Public
Health has stated that over a period of time,

it had a 6.8 percent fatality rate of those
that ingested it.

There is no known antidote, so you either
wait until the toxins leave the body, or wait

for death.
The Guardian reports that “between 2006
and 2015, ten people died after eating the

fish”, but most of those folks tried to
prepare the meals themselves.

In other Asian countries, people have died
when the fish was passed off as something

15 people died in Thailand and scores more
were hospitalized when vendors were selling

the fish disguised as salmon around 2007.
Number 8.
This popular poison won't kill you in small

Indeed, it was reported in 2017 that 2 million
people in the USA were exposed to high levels

of arsenic from drawing water from wells.
Back in the Victorian era, women poisoned
themselves by rubbing a mixture on their faces

that contained arsenic, all in the name of
beauty and the desire to have a pale complexion.

Arsenic poisoning leads to cancer in developing
countries as we speak, but a small dose of

this harmless looking powder in your drink
will kill you.

That's why it was a favorite with murderers
in 19th century England.

Vomiting and diarrhea will occur, and if you've
consumed enough of it, you've usually got

between two hours and two days before it's
game over.

Number 7.
Strychnine is another substance found in many

things we might consume.
It's mainly found in the strychnos nux-vomica
tree, and from there it might make its way

into a one gram bag of cocaine, pesticides,
or even contaminated food and water.

If you've been poisoned, you'll know within
15 to 60 minutes.

According to the CDC, you'll become anxious,
feel muscle pain, have spasms, and at high

doses, suffer respiratory failure and brain

If you can get past 12 hours, you should survive.
The BBC reported in 2016, a man was found
dead in the middle of the English Moors after

ingesting it.
Number 6.
Scientists say that cyanide and strychnine

are fairly similar in terms of toxicity, but
cyanide certainly has the worse reputation.

This chemical compound can be found in plants,
bacteria, fungi as well as the seeds of some

Death-by-apple-seed, however, would only occur
if you ate at least 150 crushed apple seeds

and chewed them all well.
If you did manage to do that, you could suffer
seizures, apnea, cardiac arrest, and death

within seconds.
In 2012, a U.S. man, a former millionaire
Wall Street banker, died in about 37 seconds

after swallowing a cyanide pill in court.
It was short, but looked rather unpleasant.
Number 5.
Sarin is a nerve gas that was developed in

Germany as a pesticide.
It later became a chemical weapon and was
developed by the Soviet Union and the U.S.

It has killed thousands of people as a military
weapon and was the cause of 12 deaths in the

1995 Tokyo subway sarin attack.
26 times more deadly than cyanide, if ingested,
your eyes will first water, you'll throw

up, pee, poop, and then have seizures.
Within ten minutes, you will be dead.
Number 4.
This deadly protein, extracted from the innocent

sounding castor bean, once found its way to
President Barack Obama's mail.

One of the problems, for most of us at least,
is that the toxin can be extracted from the

pulp without much difficulty.
You just need to follow some fairly simple
instructions thanks to our modern Oracle,

If inhaled or ingested at an amount half the
size of a grain of sand, it is goodnight Vienna.

The good news is, it's unlikely you'll
be poisoned if someone isn't planning to

kill you as it's not something you just
come across – unless you worked in the U.S.

military in the 1940s.
If ingested, the effects will appear after
about 10 hours.

You'll experience vomiting and diarrhea,
seizures, and death will likely happen when

your liver, spleen and kidneys stop working.
Number 3.
Mercury occurs naturally in air, water and

soil, but it gets very dangerous when it builds
up in fish and becomes methylmercury.

That's how humans are usually affected.
It's also found in metals and so it can
get into us that way.

It's high on the list, because a very small
amount of mercury can be deadly.

If it isn't, it's been known to lead to
children's hair and teeth just falling out

like in a bad dream.
It kills, too, as a British scientist's
family discovered in 1996.

She had taken all the correct safety precautions
when working with the substance, but after

spilling two small drops on her gloves she
was doomed.

She didn't think much of it, having worn
the protective gloves, but within weeks she

suffered neurological impairment.
She then went into a coma and died.
While the woman was thrashing about prior
to her coma, her friend asked a doctor if

she was in pain.
The doctor told her that her brain wouldn't
even register pain.

Number 2.
The strongest form of this toxin is carried

by the golden poison frog, known as the most
poisonous animal on the planet.

Also known as the golden dart frog, it carries
about one milligram of poison, enough to kill

ten to twenty humans.
This would mean the tiny, friendly looking
frog could take out an elephant.

It's called the dart frog because residents
of Colombia's rainforests would soak the

end of their darts in its poison for hunting,
or protecting themselves.

Like in the movies, a human, if hit, would
likely drop like a knocked out boxer.

A lethal dose is 0.00012 grams.
There isn't much evidence as to the effect
on humans, but when natives were asked about

the killer darts, they told western scientists
that paralysis is so immediate, birds would

just fall from the sky when hit.
Number 1.
Botulinum toxin
This nasty toxin's claim to fame is that

it is used to make older looking people look
younger when used in what we know as Botox.

The toxin, 40 million times stronger than
cyanide, can kill a human at only 80 nanograms

- 2-billionths of a gram.
Your face will first paralyze, then your limbs,
and then your breathing organs.

Unfortunately, as we heard at the beginning
of this show, it can appear in cans of food.

Although botulism outbreaks are very rare,
the cheese sauce fan from California was joined

by another northern Californian a few months

This time the cheese sauce killed a woman,
who had initially been released from the hospital

after recovering.
It's odorless and colorless, so you'll
only know you are a victim when strange things

start to happen to you.
When your face starts paralyzing and you can't
speak, drive as fast as you can to a hospital.

That brings us to the end of today's show.
Which of these substances seems like the worst
to you?

Let us know in the comments!
Also, be sure to check out our other video
called Most Painful Things a Human Can Experience?!

Thanks for watching, and, as always, don't
forget to like, share, and subscribe.

See you next time!


What Is The Deadliest Substance On Earth? Toxicity Comparison

31 タグ追加 保存
robert 2018 年 11 月 7 日 に公開
  1. 1. クリック一つで単語を検索


  2. 2. リピート機能


  3. 3. ショートカット


  4. 4. 字幕の表示/非表示


  5. 5. 動画をブログ等でシェア


  6. 6. 全画面再生


  1. クイズ付き動画


  1. クリックしてメモを表示

  1. UrbanDictionary 俚語字典整合查詢。一般字典查詢不到你滿意的解譯,不妨使用「俚語字典」,或許會讓你有滿意的答案喔